Sunday, May 14, 2006

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

Definitely a day to show recognition to all you hard-wroking mother's out there. I think the day has changed quite a bit from when LB and I used to make our own cards, try to make mom breakfast and try to give her a day of rest without ticking her off.

Nowadays, it is either really commerical (Hallmark still makes a mint, as does all phone carriers and phone card makers) or just another ordinary day in the neighbourhood. And I have to say that saddens me a little. I realize that for those who chose to not have kids, this is simply not a big deal for you, and I am not knocking your choice in any way. For those of us with kids, it is a day that is focussed on one parent where the child(ren) can do something specifically to show how much that person is appreciated. Yes, I prescribe to the idea that this should be shown all year round but I am not adverse to the special treatment on a single day of appreciation to the parent.

So, enjoy the day. Try to connect with the kids, and even your own mother. It's another baby step for me today so I will try to heed my own advice.

Peace.

No comments: