Thursday, January 08, 2009

Don't start nothing, there won't be nothing!

The contentious Middle-East situation is always going to polarize people and their views. I will remind my readers before I continue that I am married to a woman of the Jewish faith; she is Canadian, and not Israeli however (which I am oft reminded). That said, those of you that know me personally know that my intimate connections have little to do with my views on the world and does not restrict them much if at all (i.e. I am sensitive, not censored). Okay, enough caveats and conditions. Let's jump right in.

The Israelis are NOT wrong for responding to the constant attacks on them by Hamas and others. They ARE wrong for the strength, direction and apparent lack of focus and control that they are exhibiting in that response. Just as Hamas is wrong for firing rockets wildly into Israel without regard for life there and the Palestinians are wrong for continuing to support Hamas as they get nothing but grief in return for these actions. Many people, including good friends of mine, are quick and vocal to chastise Israel for killing innocent civilians and children. I do not disagree with this voice but I do not sit back and listen; I question.

My first question is, "Where were your voices when Hamas STARTED this issue by firing more rockets into Israel?"

My next question is, "Where were your voices when Hamas and Iran and others were calling for the destruction of Israel and the death for all Jews?"

My final question is, "Where were your voices when bombers were killing children on buses, tourists in cafes and innocent people in a wedding reception?"

If you are going to be vocal about atrocities, you should be vocal about ALL atrocities. If you are going to pick and choose which really bad things bother you then, seriously, just STFU!

Israel stopped their offensive and arranged for aide to help those affected in Gaza and for that they received more rockets out of Lebanon (who promptly denounced the action of those stupid enough to draw Lebanon into this latest fray). There is a lot of history and facts that I honestly am ignorant of but neither side should think to claim innocence in these matters because there is enough shit for everyone's fans. The thing that boggles my mind is the apparent mind lapse by these people that Israel is a nuclear nation. When Saddam was firing Scuds across, the only reason he did not get a nuke up the tailpipe was because the US stepped in and begged Israel to chill out. Now, I doubt Israel would use nukes on any of its Arab neighbours as that would simply provoke a sinkhole effect in response (everyone would gang up on beating them down) but the possibility still looms so why on earth would you provoke them?

I will again state that I do not in any way condone the killing of children or innocent people in any form or fashion. I will say though that you only have to remember some well known sayings to know Hamas royally f**ked up.

"You don't bring a knife to a gunfight."

"Don't poke a beehive unless you are willing to get stung."

"Don't wake the sleeping bear."

"Mess with the bull and you get the horns!"

And my final words come from a skit Chris Rock did about the OJ Simpson case in his "Bigger & Blacker" concert. I don't agree with what the Israelis are doing as a response to Hamas' violence, but I understand. I just hope it all stops before it is too late.

Peace. Please.

No comments: