Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Father's Day recap and other stuff

A belated Happy Father's Day to all you fellow old farts. I had a great day with the family and with the BFE residents of Famine and family. The weekend started on a slightly sour note though. On Friday evening, we went to the local cineplex at Salem and Hwy. 2; PS (I owe you three bucks), MS, KJ, DW, TC and myself. Now, you're wondering if it was the movie or the cineplex that was the issue. How about both?

If you have ever gone to Scarborough Town Centre during the hey days of the multiple small room cineplex, you have an idea of the riff-raff, trailer trash, ghetto fabulous, and just plain ignorant entities that attends this place. The five dollars less per head is the only thing that makes this place tolerable for some movies, though the size and seating were actually both reasonable. We went to see the opening of Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I wish we had gone to see something else. I love the Fantastic Four and used to collect the comics so imagine how pissed off and disappointed I was at the absolutely bastardized storyline of one of the greatest battles they ever had. You do not even get to SEE Galactus in the movie; and that was have the treat I was waiting on. The surfer himself was done fairly well but the rest of it I could have done without. The night did not get any better after heading to Montana's for dinner. While the service was decent, the main courses were not; that's a shame because we like the chain. I do not think we will be going back there any time soon except for maybe the delicious Antijitos (sp?).

Saturday was an early day with a run out to Timmies and then off to KJ's younger son's soccer tournament; her older son, my Godson, and his father were in Ottawa having a "cooler" time with LB and the lil' lad. The referees never showed up so the game was played unsanctioned after starting almost an hour late; very poor organization for an Ontario Cup game. After that, we left and hit my favourite former mom and pop electronic store, Canada Computers. I say former because they have been expanding like wildfire and much to DW's chargrin, are now local in Ajax. Suhweet. We went there because the new board (post to come on operation D2-PVR) refused to boot after a BIOS upgrade. Thankfully, I do not buy crap and after reading the box in the store again, I realized that I should be able to safely recover from the BIOS crash. We left there and went to the Grand Opening of the Ajax store for pizza and drinks and free stuff. I also introduced DW to my oriental doppleganger and namesake; he has dropped over two grand back into the store since starting there three months ago. Geeks rule.

We rushed home as we had to pack up to leave for Everett, where we were having dinner, hanging out and staying the night. I HAD to fire up the board and try the BIOS restore before we left though. Thankfully, it worked like a charm and Andromeda is back online. Yes, Andromeda, one of the many like named machines in the house; Orion, Osiris, Nemesis, Vulcan and more. We packed up quickly and headed out to grab some refreshing items from the local LCBO and The Beer Store. We then hit highway 401, got tired of the twits and traffic, and headed up the 404 for smooth sailing along the 407 to the 400. More traffic there, some dark clouds and even a quick drizzle, but the sun returned soon after. Going to Everett for us is like going to the cottage for others; there is grass, quiet, some swimming, and lots of eating and drinking. Thanks to Famine and Devoid and the two lads for a good time out as always. AND, for an amazing breakfast as always. Who knew I would like hollandaise sauce?

But, all good things must come to an end so we had to head home. TC had studying to do. I had to prepare for going back on-call the following day and DW had to relax before her weekly grind. The HD PVR is up and running though (thanks to our man Frank who was leaving BB and did not care that our raincheque was expired so we still got it at less than half price) so we can stop taping on the rental, clear it and send it back to Rogers. I cannot wait to mod this one though with a nice big internal hard drive. Pure HD taping.

Oh, lest I forget again, DW got me a nice gift (though she should not have as per our philosophy). It will seem very strange to those that really know me but I really hate my bitten nails and cracked feet and dry skin. I always say I will do a family spa day one day but we just have not gotten to it. Well, DW is tired of hearing it so she happened upon a place near us and i am going for my first ever pedicure, manicure and massage. Oh baby, I hope she is Swedish. Ahem, anyhow, it was a special that also included nine holes of golf. I play golf like that cheap cut of meat that not everybody likes: SHANK!! So, Skibum, when you are ready to endure my lousy golf, let's hit the links (and the 19th hole).

And how was your father's day?

No comments: