Saturday, February 27, 2010

iPad Killer? Close but no cigar.

JooJoo

The screen is bigger, it has a webcam and microphone, the connections are more, the idea is sound... but the execution falls short.  To have a Net-based OS (i.e. cloud computing) when that vision has failed miserably simply because one can not get access everywhere is a mistake.  To not have built-in applications when your competitor has a fully functional operating system with free apps is short-sighted.  To not have a reasonable base of applications ready for the release date and no applications purchase avenue (i.e. App Store) is suicidal.  I will not be buying an Apple iPad because it lacks many items I want in a tablet (webcam, microphone, infra-red, SDHC slot, mini-HDMI, etc.).  However, if I wanted or needed such a device, I would buy the Apple one well before I bought the JooJoo simply because I can do more out of the box with the Apple unit the moment i turn it on and, I don't need Internet access in order to start doing anything.  Sorry JooJoo, you have a good foundation but you need to get up to snuff and quick or you will be regulated to a footnote as yet another challenger to the Apple throne that failed to dislodge them from their mighty perch.

Peace


No comments: