Monday, August 13, 2007

Sometimes it is the little things.

We went to TC's camp on the weekend unbeknown to her as we lied and said we were not coming up three consecutive. The reaction was far beyond what DW and I expected. We thought she may be excited, and surprised and may even shed a tear or two. What we got was a running, rampaging teenager that loudly proclaimed she was happy to see us, thanked us repeatedly for coming up and then CRIED. No, not teared-up, not weeped... she hugged and cried on us. It was genuine emotion and it was heartfelt and real. Combined with her friends telling us that she had a bout of homesickness earlier in the week ( and was really down), we had an image of a teenaged girl that missed her home and her family. It was one of the few times in her life we will be happy she was crying.

Now, I know some of you are wondering what the big deal about that is and I would wonder with you if I were not living the reality that I am in. Our family has been through a lot over the years and no one has gone through more than our little girl. She still has to deal with the programming, conditioning and wayward direction that was laughingly offered up by my ex-wife and her family. All we can do is continue to show her that life does not have to be that way. All we can do is continue to love her unconditionally, show her right from wrong, point her in the right direction, support her in the good and bad times and be there when she needs us most.

On Sunday, she needed us. Thankfully, on Sunday, we were able to be there.

Ciao.

1 comment:

Penny said...

Ya done good, my friend. When she asked me if you were coming up and I had to say "No" (cuz I promised not to tell her), the look on her face broke my heart.

I'm not surprised to hear that she bawled. Nice to be loved, huh?