Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Happy Birthday.... to me!

Yes, today I am one year shy of the big 4-0. I was up around 4:30AM not because of birthday jitters, not because I was awoken for birthday relations with DW (still waiting) but because the house we are in is up for the one year inspection and I had to write up the sheets, scan them in and get them sent off to the realtor for the owner. Yep, birthday fun begins early.

Add to that the fact that I am on-call and received a wonderful call about a PITA client and a degraded circuit issue that needed attention, then another brush with incompetence as I am told that, yet again, a pertinent update to the ticket was NOT called in fifteen minutes after I called, and you have the makings of the beginning of a BEAUTIFUL day.

Well, so far I have received greeting from my father, whom I thought would not have done so this year, but as always, just before 5AM I got my birthday call commemorating the time of my birth. At one point I thought I was getting too old for it and it was a bit corny but I actually thought about it five minutes before he called so I guess some things, as small as they are, mean a whole lot.

Next, I received a birthday greeting from Hallmark courtesy of DoubleD and family. It was one of those animated ones and had me shooting at all the ills of getting old in hopes of reducing years off my age. The tagline: If only it were that easy. Yeah, I hear ya!

Next, DW came out as the alarm went off at 6AM as usual. Tired, hot and sweaty, she went back to bed since I was already up. No birthday greeting. No lifting of the clothing and enticing relations. Sigh, maybe next year.

Next, my neice passed by, scrubbing mask or some other shite on her face, headed downstairs and returning with an armful of clean clothes she had hung up. I got a good morning greeting but no birthday greeting. No worries, it will come to her and I will make her feel guilty as only I know how.

Next, TC was dressed and coherent and gave me huge birthday hugs. Again, the simple things mean the absolute most. Considering the last couple of years, having my wife and child in the same place with me on the morning of my birthday is a priceless gift that I hope continues for a long while. Well, at least till we either ship TC off to school so we can travel, or we expand the household with some little ones.

Birthday mornings could come a lot worse so I will say thank you, fell honoured and blessed to be alive and healthy, and will no amount of stupidity ruin my day today as I am off to shower, get dressed and head into work with a cloud of utter joy and contentment shielding me from today's ills.

Peace.

4 comments:

Pam A. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dtrini said...

I was going to add an addendum but DW beat me to it with her posted comment. I knew she would remember. She has remembered from the time we were really just friends and everyone else forgot or said nothing. I am wearing one of my birthday shirts for anyone who will see me at work. I also got birthday shorts (no, not those kind) that I will be sporting the moment it warms up a bit more. Thank you my love, they were unexpected as usual and welcomed but my best present was my birthday hug and kiss.

Anonymous said...

For the record, I did NOT forget his birthday. I'm one of those people that remembers everyone's big day. I got up at 6am to make sure he was up (I usually do) and staggered back to bed, still half asleep. However, when he came through the door an hour later, he got his birthday hug and kiss, card and gift. So, I did NOT forget. :)

Happy Birthday Hon!

blogger hates me :(

Bat-Rider said...

Happy Belated Brother from another Mother - a beverage is required I say at a secure watering hole!!!
Cheers!!!!