Thursday, September 08, 2005

RIP Little Buddy!

I did not have the words to post this notice before; I will try to do it justice now. A lot of people will say that television is an evil invention and I will concede that it is far too often used as a replacement babysitter (or in my case, replacement late night beer). That said, I was a very active child playing competitive soccer, travelling, riding to my old neighbourhood to visit friends and playing on our street with the neighbourhood kids (Ever play NEIGHBOURHOOD-wide team tag? We even ran through friends houses and hopped all backyard fences to get away). With all of that going on, I still managed to hone a fine viewing skill as I did not sleep much back then either. I watched all the old greats (Gunsmoke, Ponderosa, Outer Limits (B&W), Twlight Zone (B&W, natch), Perry Mason et all). And of course, all the regulars from the 70's and 80's (Happy Days, Mork & Mindy, Three's Company, Good Times, Jeffersons, All In The Family, Dallas, The Saint, Night Stalker, Star Trek, Knight Rider and more).

But, besides the G-Force team, Gilligan's Island was my afternoon, after school standard when I was growing up. It was a silly, contrived, often stupid show but it's simplicity is what endeared it to people all over the world in more languages than I can list. Yes, I think I have seen all the episodes. Yes, I watch the Globe Trotter Special. Yes I saw them get rescued from the island. And, before you ask, Mary Ann over Ginger; farm girls are repressed freaks.

Thanks for all the laughs and the memories Bob. You will be missed. Our condolences to your family and the crew. Truly, rest in peace.

Ciao.




CANOE -- JAM! Television: 'Gilligan's Island' Bob Denver dies: "kid in the Buster Brown haircut and white sailor hat. So did the skipper, who was played by Al"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said and yes I watched all the same shows and we did neighbourhood hide and seek and later manhunt! ....ah the good old days!