Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Sherman loses battle with cancer

When one gets married, for better or for worse, you also marry your partner's family. I consider myself VERY fortunate in that game of Russian roulette because with few exceptions and despite the family differences (i.e. origin, race, religion and temperment), I lucked out in merging into a very nice group of people.

Unfortunately, one of the best of that group died yesterday, losing his hard fought battle with that killer of killers, Cancer. Joey, as he was known to the family, was a very personable man, a very friendly and humble person. By extenstion (by marriage), he was also my cousin. DW can do the twice removed, in the closet, on the hill calculation; I just call family, "family". I was fortunate to meet Joey at a family dinner and then again when he was in town for a book release some years back. I attended the event with DW, mum (DW's) and Joey's daughter, Rebekkah (one of my fave cousins). Shortly after that, he received the Order of Canada, a most prestigious accomplishment in this country.

With all of his accomplishments though, I will simply remember the man who made me feel like family. My family's condolences are extended to his and it is a shame that we cannot afford right now to go to PEI to sit Shiva and attend the funeral. Rest in peace Joey. You will be missed.

Peace.

Sherman loses battle with cancer

No comments: