Wednesday, January 19, 2005

And it continues...

OK, so I may be a bit of a confessed SUV-ing, 4x4-ing snob. Here's the thing: I used to drive a normal vehicle before I got into the 4x4 world. Before the van and truck now, before the Grand Cherokee, and before the Corolla SR5. Yes, back then it was a few front-wheel drivers (i.e. Buicks, Chryslers and Honda Civics). However, my preference has always been for a rear drive vehicle so it was Volvos, Datsun 810 (Maxima), Parisienne, Chrysler 600, and my beloved Lincoln Town Car with powered front quarter windows.

I drove all those different types of vehicles in the snow and not once did I get into an accident with them. No fancy dancy anti-lock braking, no anti-slip or anti-anything for that matter. No fancy winter tires either; Crappy Tire always sold a line of all-season radials with deep treads like a winter tire that was noisier than normal ones on the highway but actually worked in all conditions.

I just really do not understand the absolute void of skill and understanding of today's drivers. And I am not talking in extreme circumstances folks. Take today's dumbass in his black Corvette with the standard low profile tire. I do not care how much technology that vehicle has, I will give any odds that I could drive better in my old 73 Volvo 164E. First he comes to the stop sign on the side street too quickly so he ends up nose out into the street. THEN, he has the audacity (or was that suicidal tendency) to nudge forward in the hopes of inducing a traffic stoppage to let him out.

Let's work that scenario in detail, shall we? Brand new, plastic bodied Chevrolet Corvette versus 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer equipped with hardened steel Roo-killer bar on front. Yeah, you're right, no contest. So dumbass made the smart move of not nudging further ahead until I passed. Idiot!

OK, to clarify a previous viewpoint, let me say that I LOVE snow. I love it falling, the look of the city under a new blanket of it, the new city smell of it. I just hate the frickin' cold accompanying it. Clear enough? Good.

Enjoy the snow while you can. Bitter cold is coming the rest of the week and no warmth until next week or March or something like that.

No comments: