Monday, October 31, 2005

100 more things you may not know about me

1. I broke my small toe on my right foot kicking a curb while playing foot hockey.
2. I cracked my skull when I was about six. It was a full crack from front to back and is still visible in an x-ray.
3. I cracked the skull open again when I was about eight. Was not supposed to be on the ice slide, but was stubborn.
4. I have never had a cast on.
5. Had my appendix burst when I was about ten. I was ten minutes from death on the operating table.
6. My mother threatened the doctor with death if he let me die. She was serious. He knew that.
7. Of my family, knock on wood, I have been the healthiest.
8. I had jaundice as a baby.
9. My sister dropped me on the concrete while bathing me.
10. She also nearly suffocated me with baby powder while changing me.
11. I have always loved riding a bicycle.
12. Me and powered two wheeled items are not a good mix.
13. I fell off the back of a moped my cousin was driving and scraped all the skin off of both knees.
14. My mother and aunt poured, YES POURED, iodine on the wounds and warned me to stay off the moped.
15. I rode the moped again without incident.
16. I crashed my friend's new scooter up a curb. He did not see as the light popped back in without any sign of damage.
17. I have been on the back of a motorcycle once. I want one. DW will kill me first she says.
18. I used to ride in the MS Bikeathon every year. It has now been renamed to MS Bike Tour.
19. I've walked a marathon. Never was in good enough shape for extended running.
20. I like to fish and camp. My older brother was the one to teach me and take me.
21. I used to be a Boy Cub/Scout.
22. I faced racism the first camping trip I went on with them. I'd still recommend them though, as times have changed.
23. I used to be an Air Cadet.
24. I held a flag up during an important ceremony in Nathan Philips Square and nearly passed out from heat exhaustion.
25. I was asked to leave after I told off my racist officer. I would also still recommened them as times have changed.
26. I was accepted conditionally into the ROTC program of the Air Force. I did not continue because a) it was my mother's demand that I do "something" with my life, b) I don't take orders well especially those that don't make sense and c) they wanted me to lose weight without even checking my fitness level. Since I was very fit and healthy and practically solid muscle at the time, I dropped that avenue immediately.
27. I love comic books.
28. I used to own a collection in the couple of thousands.
29. My mother and sister "cleaned" my room for me. I now have almost none.
30. The collection would have been worth in the high five figures today.
31. The X-Men is my favourite series of all time.
32. I started playing the violin in grade four before my family moved.
33. The new school only had horns and woodwinds, so I ended up playing baritone from then on.
34. I could have gone to Italy to see the Pope with the high school band.
35. I did not go because my family could not afford the trip.
36. I went to Barbados as part of a school twinning with Sir Grantley Adams High School.
37. I marveled at the mainly non-ethnic travelers in our group as they ordered hamburger and fries on a Caribbean island. Why leave Canada then?
38. I moaned about real food and was showed the other menu by the staff. I had a roti instead.
39. My group wanted to taste it. It was decimated. I bought another roti.
40. Coocoo and flying fish, with rum punch, was the basic diet afterwards.
41. Besides Trinidad, Barbados and St. Martin, I have not spent time on any other island though my plane touched down in St. Lucia and St. Vincent (but we were not allowed to get off).
42. I have never been to another continent. DW has.
43. I actually wanted to tour the Middle East. I fear that trip too much now to risk it.
44. I want to do a grand family trip soon. The requisite Disneyland/Disneyworld but also somewhere adventurous.
45. I love to dance.
46. I used to be a club junkie. Elusions. Stairways. Spectrum. Pleasure Dome. The Library. And a few more places were our usual haunts.
47. I have been a passenger in a car with someone who should not have been driving.
48. I have been the driver on more than one occasion.
49. It will never happen again.
50. I miss clubbing.
51. I appreciate my life.
52. I am a bit bored.
53. I have the attention span of a gnat (as if reading my blog you did not know that).
54. I work best under pressure and challenged.
55. I am a procrastinator, master level.
56. I am a protagonist. Some people would call me a shit disturber. Same thing.
57. I am not afraid of dying or death.
58. I am afraid of growing old and being incapacitated.
59. All of my grandparents were incapacitated before their death.
60. I don't want to be a burden to my family.
61. I used to rollerskate near Bridlewood Mall (Warden and Finch). Badly.
62. I used to make kites and fly them. Badly.
63. I read a lot. More magazines than books but I am trying to even them out.
64. We have over 1200 books and no where to display them. We will donate some to TC's school and some to other places. We will keep some.
65. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle is one of my favourite books of all time.
66. A Catcher in the Rye was my favourite book to work on in school.
67. My favourite play to read was A Merchant in Venice. I can still recite some of Shylock's "Quality of Mercy" solioquay.
68. My favourite live Shakespearean performance was King Lear, in Stratford.
69. Is one of my favourite numbers. :)
70. I love musicals. I can sing almost all of the songs from The Sound of Music and will watch it anytime it shows on TV.
71. The movie I have watched the most in my lifetime has got to be Ferris Bueller's Day Off. DW banned the DVD from he house for two years after it was released.
72. The last movie we saw was A History of Violence. Good movie. Don't go for an action thriller or you will be disappointed. It is more cerebral than the title suggests.
73. My feet are cold as I write this.
74. All the men in my family has distinct ridges/bumps of skin on the back of our heads.
75. We also all have this distinctive skin marking.
76. I could, and would, switch faith except for one condition that has to be met.
77. No one hacks my wee wee (see South Park).
78. I respect all religions that respect all others.
79. I have too deep an obsession with material items.
80. If necessary, I can give it all up in a heartbeat to achieve a greater good.
81. I still bite my nails. TC unfortunately does as well. We have to buy that nasty stuff to put on nails.
82. My feet crack severely in the winter cold.
83. I have an Arctic issue jacket courtesy of the Air Force. I can be naked in the thing and still be warm.
84. I don't have the matching pants so the lower extremities would snap off in extreme weather.
85. I do not have a degree.
86. I finished high school, grade 13, but no post-secondary education.
87. My parents could not afford to send me to college and I wanted to work to help out.
88. I have always regretted not getting more education.
89. I did get to go to The Institute for Computer Studies, which launched my geek career.
90. The Institute was swallowed up and destroyed by CDI. It in turn has now been bought by a US-based company. I owe a lot to the Institute (experience, education, great friends, and more).
91. I love cheese. I love peanut butter. Yes, I have eaten the two together.
92. I have eaten sardines and peanut butter.
93. I wear glasses. They are not strong, just for a refocusing of the image.
94. I run flat-footed. Well, I don't do any running at the moment.
95. I walk on an angle on my foot, as evidenced by the wear pattern.
96. I cut my own hair.
97. I am going to the dentist on the 18th for the first time in a decade or more.
98. I have never had a cavity.
99. I am a very lucky man.
100. I am blessed.


------------------

Well, I think that is about it for now. I don't think I will or can ever post the rest of the facts about me that is not generally known. Maybe one day when I am drunk or feeling particularly risqué I will chance a posting. Sorry, but that day is not today.

Peace.

3 comments:

something said...

how in the world are you still alive?

Anonymous said...

Ya. That's my question... Sardines and peanut butter?!?! Ewwwwwwww...

(we still lurves you and DW anyways).. say, is DW going to do a list of 100 things?

Dtrini said...

Not bloody likely, but I will try to get it out of her.

As for my living still, I have used a few of my nine lives and risked the rest a few times. :) I've eaten worse btw but I still need something for one more list.