Thursday, October 13, 2005

PC Magazine Commentary: Upgrade Your iPod…or Not?

While I promised DW that I would not go into the expense, I am SUPER tempted to obtain our third version of the Apple iPod. The first version (second generation) that I bought was a very expensive 20GB player that was worth every penny for the "wow" factor and for the amazing playability. Unfortunately, our daughter and I used it more than DW. In the course of that use, it broke down, was replaced by Apple with a refurbished unit, and now needs repair again on the very badly designed audio jack.

Enter the fourth generation and the click-wheel iPod. It is a smaller, lighter, sleeker, more functional 40GB unit that cost almost two hundred dollars less than its predecessor. This one came with a docking unit that allowed it to be hooked up to a line-in jack on your home stereo for a jukebox of sweet musical power. Now, I know those of you used to using MP3s are thinking, "How the hell do you fill 40GB of music?" I'll tell you that it is not easy. It involves cleaning each CD and sticking them into the laptop drive one by one as iTunes tips them to the hard drive at 160Kbps. These days I am starting to use 320Kbps for higher quality, resulting in larger files. In any case, I can tell you that I was over 25GBs at the lower sampling rate and about halfway through our CDs. I also have a collection of non-CD recorded MP3s that I and friends "acquired" over the years so it all adds up to a need for larger than 40GB. What sucks is that not long after I boguth DW her new iPod, Steve and crew lowered the price on the iPod Photo and got rid of her model. So the 40GB iPod that was in colour and can view pictures was now twenty bucks less than her model. Gotta love progress.

So, that brings us to today. With the release of the iPod video, if you will, which is essentially an iPod Photo with new stuff, Steve and crew have really upped the ante on the competition. You get a 60GB unit, that plays photos, slideshows, MPEG4 video, music, acts as a hard drive, plays games, has a calendar and alarm clock, keeps appointments and is lighter, smaller and lasts longer than any previous model for less money than any previous top end version; $499. With a 2.5" screen, I understand that some of the more eye challenged amongst you will cry poor screenage. Considering that you will not typically watch theatre movies on this thing, it is more than enough screen for a quick tv video fix. And anyone that knows us and our five tv tuners in our computers know that this unit falls right into our alley.

I'll wait for more reviews, some more real world experience by users and possibly another round of let's drop the price and introduce more features. Rest assured though, by Jobs, I think they've got it!

Enjoy!

PC Magazine Commentary: Upgrade Your iPod…or Not?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The question I'd have is how bad is the battery drain with the usage of video...

Dtrini said...

Good question. Hence, the reason I will wait for the truly bleeding edgers to work out the kinks for me. I do not want to be like the first Nano suers who snapped their screen by sitting ont he damn things.