Thursday, October 20, 2005

We seriously do it to ourselves sometimes.

Example number one. So, today TC and I were in the KFC after having been out to the doctor's. We are there standing in line and in walks an African-Canadian youth (hee hee). I don't really pay any attention to him until I spot him leaving the place, looking around, with a drink in his hand. Would you believe this boy walked in with his KFC cup, got a new cover and straw, refilled his lord-knows-how-old cup and leaves? Just what do you think people are going to say? He must have really needed a drink? He must be down on his luck? Oh, poor boy? Yeah right. I don't know what anybody else was saying or thinking, but my mind was all for, "Damn, you can't take black people anywhere." Now to understand the comment, let me simply add that I hate the scruffy, loose fitting, hang down look ALL youth has. I especially hate it on black youth since it targets them for profiling as troublemakers (DON'T EVEN BOTHER, profiling DOES happen). There is simply no need to look like your parents were shopping in the "Too Big For You" Goodwill store.

Example number two. DW and I were at the STC last night getting her eyes tested (thankfully, the B word has been averted for now) and making an order for new lenses at Lenscrafters. Afterwards, we mosey on over to the local McD's on the same level to grab dinner and more puzzle pieces (yes, I am caught in the scam). Being in Scarborough, the predominant percentage of part-time workers are black students. Now, I used to be one of those loud youths, but I and my friends also knew when and where that exuberance could be expressed. When any of us were at our jobs, it was business and professionalism. Nowadays, it is just plain embarrassing. The "ladies" who had already gotten off work, were gathered around the counters, distracting those that were still on shift, yakking loudly with the staff and others such that you had to repeat your order. That may be why bright ass, a European-Canadian manager (white with some spice) buggered up my order (that would be a ten piece not a number ten). Also why the girl who I approached to rectify my missing game tokens simply took my not-filled-enough fry container and filled it without asking me what I wanted. I am sure they are good kids, they are working responsibly after all, but if they do not learn etiquette and business acumen now, they will be doomed to being passed over based on first impressions alone. Our first impression last night was not a good one.

Example number three. This one is simply disgusting. I walk into TC's high school ( a well established older school in Toronto, all girls, modern but proper). After having her called down from class, I sat outside the Principal's office to wait for her. I saw a student, a black girl who looked like she was in grade 11 or 12, outside when I walked in and again when I was sitting there. She had walked in with a one litre chocolate milk box stuck to her face and (why do youth do this?) dragging her feet everywhere. As she passed back towards the office, I heard her screech out to her friends; this despite the close proximity of classes in progress. And then I heard it. I thought I was in a sweaty bar, with peanut shells all over the floor and a sports game showing on the tube. This girl let out a very loud, prolonged burp, in the middle of the hallway with her friends. What followed was not "Excuse me" but instead a round of childish giggles. I did some stuff in my time but my upbringing has me being polite even if I am alone in the room when it happens. And she KNEW I was sitting there in earshot?!?!? I was very disappointed at this up and coming young lady behaving like she was sitting in her living room at home. Of course, in today's living room, she would get away with such bad manners; in this house, she would have had to duck.

We have to stop blaming society all the time and start looking at the things we can control; the people we can mold and teach to be better than the rest. It is our duty, and responsibility and purpose as parents. C'mon people, black, white, orange, brown, green and purple; surely we can do much better than this?

Peace.

No comments: