Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Did I tell you about the time the child was high?

Ok, unfortunately for TC, she inherited a lot more from my side of the gene pool than she bargained for. She is tall like me, rotund like me, strong like me, has so many of my mannerisms it's scary and, sucks to be her, has a lot of my dental issues. To be fair though, I took much better care of my teeth which is why it was my thirties (as chronicled in this blog) before I got my first filling.

So, there we were, on March 16th, last day of March break, at the dental surgeon on Danforth at 9:30AM. We got out late, I was on-call, but thankfully the traffic cooperated as I flew down the 401 and DVP to just make it on time. Sorry to add to more stress TC but work is work, ya know. I thought the whole thing would take a couple of hours but it went much faster than I expected.

We got into the office and checked in. I fired up the laptop to answer a couple of tickets. We filled out the last necessary forms and waited for the doctor to finish with another patient. It could not have been more than 10-15 mins total when she was called in without me. Maybe 20-30 mins later, I was called up to pay for the procedure ($1600+, but thankfully a good chunk covered by the medical plan I opted for at work, money well spent indeed), and then maybe 20 mins after that, she was ready to go after some time in recovery. I am not sure I can do the experience justice but I will do my best to illustrate it for you.

When I entered the back room, TC was sitting up on the bed, gauze in mouth, awake, aware... and giggling. Yep, she was very HAPPY, the child. I was greeted with a muffled, "Hi, Dad", a pained smile and a giggle. I replied, "Hi-gh, is right." More giggling. The medical assistant smiled and explained the procedure, what was happening next, the drugs (antibiotics, a type of perc for pain and another one I do not remember what it was for but very limited dosage on that one. TC was bleeding a fair bit so she had to get her gauze changed again before we left and they gave us some more to take with us (which would prove to not be enough). She had a good drool going too as we were cleared to leave. That's when things got interesting.

The child got up to leave and we had to help her onto her wobbly feet. She then HUGGED the medical assistant as she said goodbye to her. We then headed out to the side door (probably there so the people waiting don't freak out before they get done). She said bye with large waves, big gauzed smile and the giggling to every single person she saw in the office on the way out the door. I helped her down the stairs and we ventured outside.

Once outside, the cool air only helped her "airy" feeling. She giggled across the road, as she crossed diagonally, giggled as I told her to watch herself on the ice, giggled as I opened the door, and then giggled as I made fun of her giggling. We then set off to Shopper's Drug Mart to get her more drugs, especially since her jaw was starting to feel funny.

We got to the pharmacy and I helped her inside, we gave in our prescription and then sat down to wait. I left her there to go off and pick up a couple of magazines for her to read as she recovered. The pharmacist was pretty quick so he was done filling them before I got back so TC motioned, and called, loudly, down the aisle that he was looking for me. We paid (well, actually we did and did not, plans to the rescue again) and left, upon which the child was again giggling, waving wildly to the lady at the front register and calling out "bye" to her. Yep, still high.

She was doing fine on the ride home until I hit a particularly nasty rut in the road and it jostled her a different way. She was starting to feel it now so I got her home as quickly as possible, got her the mags and her drugs and some food since she had not eaten since dinner time the night before. Her lunch ended up being cheese and meet and bread that she tore off to place on her tongue to soften and then swallow. Naturally, she forgot at times and ended up in pain as she bit down incorrectly. Thankfully I had bought a box of gauze as well so we continued packing to help the bleeding stop.

She drifted off to sleep and I went back to work. Man, her first real drunk I will have to get on tape. :)

Ciao.

No comments: