Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Ontario to unseal adoption records

Having known a few adoptees over the years, this is a hard one to look at. Sometimes circumstances made it the best choice to give one's child up. Sometimes you literally had no choice as one's parents forced you to give the child up. In any case, the child could one day thank you or loathe you. I know two people who have very different views on the people that gave them up; so strong are they that it simply is not brought up to the one who views it negatively.

I believe that the kids, for need of questions answered or for medical information, should not be hindered in any way to obtain this information. As such, the parents who gave up the rights to their child(ren) should not be given the means to stop their offspring from finding them.

As for the other way around, the birth parents trying to find the kids, I firmly believe that the kids have every right to privacy and should be allowed to block attempts to reach them. The birth parents gave up the child(ren) and with that act, gave up any right to see them or contact them; the child(ren) never had a say in the matter, but they do now.

Some will deem it as unfair, but I will have to disagree. I stopped from having more children that TC because I was not going to bring another child into what was becoming more and more a volatile home life. I also did not believe in bringing more children into the world if I did not think I could care for them at the standard I believe they deserved. If someone made the choices (pregnancies are NOT accidents) that produced a child, and then decided they did not or could not have anything to do with the result of those choices, then they cannot cry about it in the future when the object of their choice "chooses" to not have anything to do with them.

I sympathize with the birth parents pain but I side with the child who may have finally gotten over his or hers.

Peace.

CANOE -- CNEWS - Canada: Ontario to unseal adoption records

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you - it's a tough choice, but at the end of the day, the children need to be protected.

The adults were the ones who made the decision to adopt - it's the children that had no choice in the matter.