Wednesday, November 16, 2005

They couldn't do this back in 1989?!??!

Soccer. Yeah, a bunch of you just rolled your eyes and reached for the mouse, but anyone growing up in Canada, especially those of Caribbean born families, played the game in their youth. I played for thirteen years and though my best years are well past, I miss the game and would love to play it.

Back in 1989, after two years straight of working without a vacation, I was forced to take some time off. So, I went to Trinidad, TWICE; first to a Carnival that I will never forget and the second was to see the Trinidad squad play the host of the 1990 World Cup, the U.S. Everyone knows that the host gets an automatic bye into the tournament but it is a huge embarassment if they did not actually qualify. Because of this, there are many conspiracy theories surrounding what happened back then.

To be short, a much better side (faster, stronger, more talented) lost 1-0 on a ball kicked from before the half line, behind the keeper who was so far out it was like he was looking for food. The ball bounced several times behind him and into the net. I have pictures of the sea of red shirts, an over full stadium, and all these people went silent in a few seconds of realization.

All they needed was a tie to get in and they played like that. You don't play football (soccer) to get a tie!!! You play to win or go play some other nancy sport like hockey or american/canadian football where they award points for such nonsense. The entire country was behind that '89 team like nothing else. Calypsoes were written, videoes taped, speeches made, pan playing at the airport, red everywhere to be seen, people given time of work to go to the game, thousands left outside because bad tickets were sold, front page news everyday. Pride. PRIDE, man!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, now I am pissed off. I was able to go back then. I was single at the time, money flowing at a good rate and no debt or responsibilities. I had planned to get on that Road to Italy by any means necessary. I had booked my time off with work already, BEFORE I left for the qualifying game. And it all turned to dust. There was MUCH drinking the rest of the week.

I am glad that T&T is in but I feel cheated. I am not given up hope and I can only hope that my Freedom 6/49 plan (or anything similar) happens sooner rather than later so that my family can all go to witness this historic event. The smallest nation ever to qualify for the finals. This is a proud moment indeed. I had more ties, ancestrally, to Italy, but I'll be "Eich bin ein berliner" faster than you can dish out the sauerkraut.

Peace.

Oh, and "GO TRINIS GO!!!!!!"


BBC SPORT | Football | Internationals | Bahrain 0-1 Trinidad & Tobago

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No worries Victor

They will merely be victory fodder for England.

Congrats on making it though

Famine

Taj said...

I know how u feel I've been waiting for this since the age of 9.