Thursday, June 08, 2006

CANOE -- CNEWS - Weird News: Philly cheesesteak joint tells customers: Yo, speak English, will youse?

Oh man, one of these controversial items again. Ok, here goes. Look, every country has a dominant language, a primary linguistic chant if you will. For North America, it is English. For Brazil, it is Portugeuse. For Italy, (do I really need to say it?) it is Italian. For France, it is French. While Tourism in most countries means that someone inveitably will speak English or another popular language for the people coming in, it would be expected that you will make the attempt to conform to the place you decided to visit or live in. ESPECIALLY if you are going to live there, you should be expected to learn the language.

George Bush. supreme idiot of the world, may have gone about all of this in the wrong way but he has a point. If you intend to come to the country, be prepared to learn the language. People who gather in their communities so that they can avoid doing so, to me, defeats the reason you came here in the first place. I abhor those who won't even attempt to try to learn the language.

If I moved to Quebec (it would have to be for a damn fantastic opportunity), I would expect nothing less of myself or my family than to learn the language. Not for the idiots that run the place and their stupid language laws and language police. I would want to learn it to speak to those older folks who have the right to converse in their native langauge. I would want to not only make them feel comfortable but to show a manner of respect in attempting to do so. Now, if the elitist f**k still has a problem because I butcher the language in my attempt or I speak like I learn it in an English school, well then f**k 'em.

The business, while understanding they may lose business, has every right to ask their patrons to at least make the attempt to speak the language when ordering, especially when they are willing to help them to do so. Why should the business learn to speak the langauge of every immigrant that comes their to eat? This is stupid and typical and really needs to stop.

Ciao. And Peace.

CANOE -- CNEWS - Weird News: Philly cheesesteak joint tells customers: Yo, speak English, will youse?

No comments: