Monday, June 26, 2006

This morning, I Skyped my wife!

Before you look to call the authorities, maybe you should acquaint yourself with the Skype application. In a nutshell, Skype is a piece of software that, when used between users who are all running Skype, allows you to carry on long distance phone and video conversations (as well as chat sessions) for FREE! No, you cannot use your regular home phone for this. Yes, it works quite well. Yes, you can call a regular land line with it. No, that function is not also free (but it is quite cheap compared to normal phone service).

Not everyone you will want to keep in contact with will be computer-enabled or will want to talk to you through the computer. The friends and family that do will be able to communicate with each other more often, for no cost at all. And that can never be a bad thing, right? Okay, so maybe for certain family members, agreed.

Anyhow, DW is in Ohio on work-related stuff so we were communicating via MSN and Blackberry messenger since Friday afternoon. Today was the first day we really got to have a proper conversation after she got back to her hotel and before she dropped off to sleep. I also fired up the video camera where, after almost three days, it finally registered with her that I shaved my face and head (leaving only the lip rug). Observant my wife is not, but I guess I still love her anyways.

So, go ahead and Skype someone you love. They will appreciate the communication and the free aspect of it all. If you want to get fancy, there are actual USB Skype phones that you can buy. I think someone has a wireless version as well that works like the cordless phone in the house. Very cool stuff.

Ciao.

No comments: