Saturday, July 29, 2006

WHAT THE F@@K?!?!??!

I posted the following at this site as a comment to the posting there. You may not have listened to The Humble and Fred Show in its various incarnations in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA); you would have been missing the best duo on radio, in mine and DW's humble opinions. Other shows may have larger numbers (stupid kiddie tricks) and more expensive advertising, but in sheer creative, timely humour, crassness, real feeling, there simply was no better radio show on the dial. Oh yeah, they lived to piss off stupid people (like this one).

Last year, Fred "Freddie P" Patterson was sacked from the show. Howard "Humble" Glassman continued on for the next eleven months until he returned from vacation when he to got the call to say he was done. I am shocked. DW is shocked. We are both pissed off. And don't bother telling us about the radio biz or any other set of horse manure; we don't want to hear it and we don't care. We hold the MIx 99.9 radio station responsible for f**king up our morning routine and our act of choice is to ban the station from our dial unless there is a time that H&F return.

Humble, if you somehow land on my little blog here, contact me so we know where to meet up for that Gentile season (Christmas) as we intend to continue our tradition of presenting you with genuine Trinidadian Black Cake and Punch a Creme. Before I go (and drop a bucnh a links after my pasted comment) I want to share two vivid memories of past Humble and Fred shows.

First, I was lucky enough to be working downtown at the 2 Bloor Street office when I heard they were giving The Humble and Fred Show CD away for any donations to the charity of choice. I made my way downtown very quickly and secured my copy before heading into work. I did not get a lot done that morning because I was laughing so hard it hurt. If you want to hear it, let me know.

Second, I was on my way up to the Gordon Baker Rd. office. I am listening to the show as they were doing yet another charity drive I think. Anyhow, they were promised some time to speak to that offbeat comic/radio/tv personality, Carla Collins. Well, they got essentially brushed off a number of times by her handlers or assistant people and it kinda ticked off the boys so they start riffing on her. next thing you know, they are being scolded by one of these people. Anyone who has listened to the show knows that was simply stupid to do. They continued even more and then the classic bit. The conversation turned to talk about Freddie being able to take Carla, the "Cutesy-Putesy Carla Collins" comment, and then something about tying her to a chair and zapping her with one of those self-defence items. I was driving to work. I was drinking hot chocolate. I was spewing out of my nose. I was barely keeping on the road. I was laughing my ass off.

This is Humble and Fred. And I miss them. Well done guys!!

Dtrini

-----------------------------------------------
Here is the comment I posted:

I know there are some people that probably will not get our attachment to radio personalities and that really is sad for them. We make no apologies for our closeness to people that we want to hear more than the din of our own families.

I turned my wife onto the fellas some eight years ago because any woman I was going to marry had to get, and like, the humour of The Humble and Fred show. She embraced them immediately on Mojo and moved to the MIx when they moved. As such, I married her two years ago and, upon our request, Howard and Fred were a part of our wedding as we played our "You're Getting Married" conversation on the show to all of our guests at the end of dinner and speeches.

The station of record at the time became our number one radio preset in each car. You got us to work every morning feeling better than when we left. I still play the CD because nothing is funnier than "cutesy-putesy Carla Collins", Fred farting on air, the off-air cursing sessions and I forget her name but the woman cussing like a teamster about the ass-wipe in the parking lot that hit her car.

Mix 99.9 will become an unused footnote on our dial once again because without the promise of someone who got what the listeners needed to hear, we don't feel a need to listen. We know this is the business but in every business the customer is your first, best and last gauge of whether or not they want to buy your product. Today, you have definitely lost two loyal customers forever.

Howard my friend, P** and I will still make you black cake and punch a creme (that sweet, milky, liquor-laden drink we bring each year). If you still have one of our email addys, send us a note. Or go to my blog and leave me a message or email me from there. If all else fails, we will find you. Just know we are part of your extended family and are here to support you and your family in whatever path you take next.

Best of luck to you.
V*****

-----------------------------------------------
Here are the links about the fellas and their departure:

Humble Howard

Fred "Freddie P" Patterson and his new website.

Note at Mike Boon's Blog

National Post article

3 comments:

M-M-M-Mishy said...

I followed Humble and Fred from the Edge to Mojo and then to the Mix. I REFUSE to wake up to MadDog and Billie. Infact, I refuse to give someone named MadDog the time of day. I think it was crappy of the Mix to say in their promos that "the DJs are coming back" when its not true. I want my Humble and Fred back!

Gene said...

i just found out today that humble howard is gone from the radio. w t f. i'm greatly disappointed and will choose not to listen to the useless dribble from madDog and billy.

i started listening to H&F from back in the cfny days. where are you humble and fred?!? how can radio stations cut someone off the air just like this?!?

Dtrini said...

I was going to check in the first day and see and I realized that I really had zero interest in knowing what they even sounded like right now. I may take a listen one day but I will NEVER become a full listener because the moment my Humble and Fred are back on the air, I'm there again.

The CFNY days of the 80's will never again be seen, to the detriment of radio. I used to look forward to listening to songs that absolutely no other station in the GTA coverage area played. It was cool to be an NYer. Now, it is really just more of the same and that is too bad.

I don't want to cost anybody else their job, but I would be an avid listener again if H&F returned to that station. Let's hope and pray. :)