Thursday, May 11, 2006

How are you today?

I feel like crap; so does DW. I have had this persistent rattle/raspiness in my chest that allows gives a wheezing/whistling sound while lying on my side in bed. It makes going to sleep a chore because I always feel like I am keeping DW awake for no reason and it annoys the hell out of me so I am tossing and turning trying to minimize it.

Yes, I have been to the doctor's recently, but I never remember to tell him about this. I had a checkup and bloodwork done and for the first time ever, I got a call that he NEEDED to see me. Uhm, okay, shit!! So, DW and I went in yesterday morning first thing which meant a 7AM appointment, arriving at 7:05AM behind three other people and having the doctor arrive 20 minutes after that; typical Trini's doctor office (you should have seen my last doctor whom you were never sure was even in the country). I really was not surprised at anything said as I was expecting it. I just wanted DW to hear it directly so that she could help me change the course that we inevitably heard I was on.

Saturday, I will be performing another little test which will determine exactly how far down that path I have travelled and how drastic the changes need to be in hopes of reversing it. I think I am near the point where I need to be to change. Shame it has to be this way but I just wanted to prolong the free life for as long as I could. I know my family history in depth and I knew the day would eventually come that required changed. Almost made 40 before that happened. Now though, I know if I want to see the kids grow up, I have to get just as committed to change as I was to not changing. Updates to come.

Peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully nothing is imminent.
You should consider getting tested for sleep apnea.

Besides myself I know many people with it and the mask can make a big difference.

Famine

Anonymous said...

Benefits ususally covers it.
Let me explain what happens.

When you have an apnea you stop breathing. When your body starts to miss the oxygen you are woken up when your body releases a shot of adrenaline. Adrenalin is a powerful substance that shocks your system and your heart.

Now in my case I was having 70 apneas an hour. That means that I was receiving 560 shots of adrenaline a night. That is VERY bad for your heart causing permanent damage and possibly death. You only have one heart and if watching your cholestoral or other dietary issues is important for your heart health then sleep apnea is every bit as important.

Lecture over.

Famine

Dtrini said...

The fact that it is nigh impossible to awake me once I have fallen to sleep, in my mind, says that I do not having a problem with my sleep. I will take it under advisement and try to remember to discuss it with my doctor once he has the test results from Saturday.