Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A movie review

The Da Vinci Code
-----------------

No, I did not read the book before seeing the movie. I honestly think it would have ruined it for me. When I read a book, and then see the movie adaptation, I inevitably compare it to the book and look for where they fudged the details or left hings out entirely. For exmample, none of the Harry Potter movies are as detailed as the book and the last one left out a huge amount of items. Spiderman does NOT shoot organic webs that emnate from his wrists; he concocts different solutions based on the application and the criminal. The Hulk is simply not that stupid looking or that stupid.

Anyhow, I enjoyed the movie even though there were some plodding sections. Of course, most of these came after the two super-sized iced teas were downed. For almost an hour I did not dare get up lest I miss an important portion of the story. So, the in seat pee-pee dance commenced. Lots of clutching and grabbing of DW's arm and pelvic twirling in the seats to help curb the feeling that I was either going to burst a coupel of kidneys, or splash the people to my left and in front with a burst of recycled cold drink (no longer cold).

Tom Hanks will not win any Oscars for his performance (at least, he should not even be nominated) but he was appropriately subdued in this. Ian McKellan does do a brilliant turn I find (I enjoy all his movie roles) so may receive a nod for best supporting actor. The female lead is more dragged than leads so should remain anonymous. The actor that plays the French detective on everyone's trail is pretty decent as well. Oh, and let's not forget the Albino. Oh my. Apparently there was a big stir of some Albino Society of America or something (who knew such an organization existed) who took exception to the evil potrayal of albinos in the film. RIGHT. OK. We'll get to you right after the Blacks, Asians, Latinos, Italians, Women, Handicapped, Right-wing, left-wing and every other hard done by character in movies. Get a life people.

Anyhow, I give this movie a passing grade as a decent time-waster on a matinee fare. 3/5.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also did not read the book prior to seeing the movie but will be reading it shortly. I have to say I really enjoyed this movie.

I dare say I will enjoy the book much more.
Much has been said of Hanks performance. Personally I think that his performance and Ron Howards direction of him were perfect for this movie.
This film is one of the rare modern day films that doesn't rely on any of todays key ingredients of a big movie, special effects - big stunts - gory violence - larger than life characters - sexy female lead or sex.
The key ingredient in this movie was this mystery/quest/story. Any larger than life acting by Hanks would have detracted from the story in my opinion.

Now maybe my enjoyment was enhanced by it being the first time in a long time the wife and I had an evening out alone to enjoy a movie, or maybe it was the car chase with a SMART car winning.

I give it a 4 out of 5

Famine

Penny said...

Once you read the book, you'll realize how very much they downplayed Sophie's role in the movie. In fact, that was one of the areas that upset me the most. In the book, she's a clever cryptologist who matches wits with Langdon. They work together as a *team* rather than as it's portrayed in the movie (she follows him around unable to figure out most things for herself).

The book is awesome. Incredible. You won't be able to put it down.

I've read it twice and will read it again.