Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I forgot to tell you about this idiot I nearly hit and about the gas station incident.

So, I was heading east along O'Connor and where it crosses Donlands, it does this 'S' in the road. Traffic flowing west gets an advanced green (allowing left turns south first) and traffic flowing north gets a green arrow for going right. It really is a simple intersection to traverse if you obey the traffic rules. unfortunately for the citizens of my fair city, we have a lot of asshole drivers that believe their time is more valuable than anybody else's so they run the red lights, make the turns on red with traffic oncoming, and generally do stupid shit that can end up f**king up traffic.

So on this particular day, I am waiting patiently at the lights in TR. The other side proceeds throuugh on the advance green and when our side goes green, the car beside me on the left and I proceed into the intersection. That is when the Gino and his friend (or friends, could not see due to tint) come flying through in a Porsche Cayenne. Nice vehicle, asshole driver. His stupid ass friend is grinning or giggling in the front passenger seat (otherwise known as shotgun, do you wonder why?) as I lay on the horn and yell obscenities at them. Now, and this is the part DW hates, on another day when I had nothing to do, or better still, the driver was alone, I would risk turning the Roo around and following his ass. Not this day though.

I live in Toronto where idiots can get a gun and they use a gun now where good old fisticuffs used to suffice. Now, one has to be more crafty and careful. Yell from the safety of one's vehicle where you can make a quick escape or be prepared to throw down with any cowardly idiot and a piece. I don't mind some verbal sparring when there are lots of witnesses though.

Witness the night DW and I went to go get some cheap gas (cheap being relative these days). I got in first and while I am filling up, I hear this guy beeping a coupel of times and identify it as the guy behind my wife. DW wa waiting for the vehicle to move in front of her as that lady was done but the store attendants were directing traffic flow around the pumps. I chalked it up to a possible slip but told DW when she got out that if he beeps again, I would have a few "words" with him.

Well, DW fills up and gets her slip from the pump and gets in her car to drive off, I am finishing as well (TR fills up slower that the Corolla) when I hear the same horn beeping. I move TR forward, stop and ask the attendant if it was that idiot beepign again. The attendant says he thinks so. I say that his horn better be broke or there will be a problem. So, buddy rolls up and gets out of the car and I yell over to him from my island, one away.

"Hey, is there a problem with your horn?"

"Excuse me?"

"IS there a problem with your horn? Is it broken or something?"

"No."

"Then what is YOUR problem? What is the reason you were beeping your horn at the woman in front of you for?"

Silence. I am asking him a few more similar things as he gazes at the large, crazy black man yelling at him. I have caught a few more people's attention, but since they were witness to his idiocy (or they know better than to interfere) they stay quiet.

"That woman is my wife and it is very ignorant for you to be beeping your horn at someone for no reason. You think your bloody time is any more important than anyone else's?"

"That woman was YOUR wife?", incredulous that the short, white woman was married to me.

"YES, SHE IS MY WIFE! You have a problem with that?"

"No."

"Well, here is a piece of advice, don't be bloody ignorant with the horn in the future as in this city, you may not meet someone who will "talk" to you as I am today. You will meet another ignorant person and things would go quite differently."

"Ok, buddy."

"Don't friggin okay buddy me! Don't do it again. And especially not around here or next time it will be very different."

He stared at me blankly as I spoke to the attendants, who admitted he heard him beeping at DW to move more quickly. The attendant wished me a good evening, I got into TR and drove home to tell DW, who had left the station and was oblivous to what happened. She was not very amused and actually missed the second set of beeping.

You know what? The vehicles that were waiting behind me in line for my pump did not beep at me once to move. I wonder why?

Peace.

"

No comments: