Sunday, May 14, 2006

With great power comes great responsibility.

For those fellow webheads out there, you immediately recognized these words that from a man named Ben Parker to his nephew, Peter, that would change the boys life forever. Peter Parker, of course, is the Amazing Spider Man. No, this post is not about comic books or movies, but rather how those words enter each of our lives.

I am here, on Mother's Day, typing away on the computer entering this blog post, playing music (Rihanna's SOS-Rescue Me, at the moment) and completing the build on our MCE PVR box. As it naturally happens, I have been culling the memories from the few days past and deciding what to blog and what to leave out. And therein lies the fruit of this post.

I have the power to lay bare our lives to you the reader; every nuance, every joy and every failure and disappointment. I can share whatever I want to with you and I can keep private what ever I think needs to remain in-house. There is indeed a great power in that. And power can be abused or it can be used for good. Hoenestly, I have probably done both within these confines already. DW, loving person that she is, has never balked at me writing about various things in here. Sharing when she has driven me mad or done some incredulous thing that boggled my mind. Though she has had the same power from the beginning, she will tell you that I have a knack for words that she sometimes lacks so that is why she has not blogged on here before and just recently started her own (see sidebar).

The responsibility that I thought about this morning refers to knowing where to draw the line. If this were only to be read by our closest friends that we would share it with verbally anyhow, then it would be okay as a medium to reach them faster. This site however reaches those we may only share lunch with, co-workers we would rather quit the profession, bosses who may not understand our frustration, parents who just don't get it, friends who may not appreciate our candor, strangers who may misconstrue the intentions, and definitely our spouses who may look and decide "OK, you've crossed the line."

I think we all have a certain inner voice that guides us to where that line is, may even allow us to venture a toe or a whole foot across, but is ever mindful not to traipse dangerously far over it. I tend to speak from the heart, speak passionately, and to many people's chagrin, speak brutally honest about it. LB, DW, Famine, MsM, and even MS and PS will probably be able to tell you that this is true and they wish sometimes I had one of those little censor buttons they could push; unfortunately for everyone, no such device yet exists. I can tell you that rarely is my intention to deliberately hurt or harm. I will always be an educator so I seek to enlighten, educate, inform and alert.

So, you may ask yourself, "Where does this all come from?" Did something happen or someone say something to me that made me post this today? The answer would be no. I simply think a lot, sometimes too much, and this morning I was thinking about this. With great power comes great responsibility, and I am just trying to live up to my end of that. See you at the next post (pun fully intended).

Ciao.

(EDITOR'S NOTE: You may be interested to know that there have been topics in the past that I ran by DW before I posted (I actually ask her opinion on a lot of them, sort of my editor-in-chief). When she nixed them, I adhered to my wife's request and did not post the material. DW holds great power too. :-) )

No comments: