Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I left the following comment on a PETA supporter's website.

I don't know if they will allow it to remain posted or how they will react to it so I am posting what I originally posted on her comment section and I linked to the original post on her site. Basically, when you get two idiots going at it on either side of an argument, all you end up with is two idiots and the message of each side is lost in the exchange. I respect PETA's right to say their message and to recruit people to their point fo view but their tactics have much to be desired and it is a shame that their message gets lost in the revulsion of those tactics (i.e. throwing paint or blood on fur wearers, etc.).

And, for any PETA supporters reading this blog, my personal opinion is that using tits and ass to get your point across is pointless because all I get is the tits and ass. I'm a guy, my focus is shallow, narrow and short. You would have had me at cruelty. You would have had me at deplorable conditions. You throw naked Pam Anderson on a car or the bikini beauties and I start wondering who PETA is and how they can get me that chick's number.

Try another tactic folks.

Here is my posted comment:

I find it interesting that instead of coming up with something intelligent to say, you people defending Nicole resort to the same juvenile behaviour that Jeff H. used. How exactly is that being better than him? How is threatening and insulting him any better than his misguided comment?

While I am sure Nicole is a nice person and believes in what she is doing, I will go so far as to point out that she is a little naive if she thinks some of those guys in the pictures with her with the goofy smiles on their faces are absorbing her message rather than ogling her goodies.

The problem I have always had with a lot of PETA folks is the same ones I have with you here: you insult and demean those who do not have the same opinion as you. Unfortunately, in many people's eyes, that greatly diminishes the message you are trying to put forth.

While I paused to think about what you were saying about KFC, it quickly was replaced with the appalling gall that your organization had with respect to Steve Irwin and his family by basically spitting on the man's grave. How is spouting all that rhetoric, which amounted to a message of "serves him right", ever expected to sway people to listen to you?

I believe that you have a right to say what you are saying and to believe what you are believing. I do not agree with Nicole or Pam or any of the ladies using sex to get that point across. I also do not believe that either side has the right to insult, harass, assault (i.e. throwing paint, etc.) or demean the other side.

The Western world is supposed to be the height of democracy and fairness but we all do a piss-poor job of demonstrating that to the rest of the world. I hope PETA, and those of an opposing view, can do a better job of disagreeing with each other in a civilized world.

Peace.

No comments: