Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Milestones

Down honey, I am not talking about the restaurant chain.

While responding to comments of a recent post I did on DW's blog (see sidebar), I happened to go up to my profile to see what I had written there before. Interestingly, almost eighteen hundred views of my profile have occurred since I started blogging in 2004. Also, this post you are reading is my 1230th one, which I am proud of as I did not think I would stick with it this long.

I think I envisioned a specific focus at one point but then found that finding regular things to say was much harder than it seemed. The thing about a blog is that while to strangers it offers anonymity, it is you personally right out there amongst friends and family. This means that there are topics you cannot or will not touch lest sensibilities and feelings come into play. You also cannot bitch and moan about anyone in your inner circle because nothing travels faster than word on the Internet.

The strange thing about blogging is that you are alone in a crowd. Where in person, I can instigate (read shit disturb) to my hearts content and watch the results wobble over like falling dominoes, I cannot do that here. Sink or swim, laugh or cry, titillate or irritate, it is all on me. There is a pressure and stress to be good, entertaining, thought provoking and/or informative in every single post. Sometimes you succeed and most times you throw up yawners that you wish you could take back. And I know I can take it back simply by deleting the post but then it is no longer a conversation with you the reader. I cannot take something back once uttered in personal, face to face conversation, so why should I have that ability to do so now?

I think I like to treat this the same way I do a conversation. If I write a post and the thought is not write, I will rewrite it or delete it entirely. The point is, it is never posted to the actual blog so no one ever sees and reads it. That is much like the conversations I have in my head prior to uttering the things I say. Once I say them, then they arer "posted" into the current conversation I am having and anything that falls from that will ave to be dealt with as it comes. That is indeed an off-putting position to take in a blog but I am proud that I do it that way. My integrity is intact because what you read here is what you will get in person.

Just a lot quieter.

Peace.

No comments: