Monday, January 15, 2007

iPhone: Not ready for prime time.

As you know, I love Apple and I love Apple's products. DW and I own two iPods, we gave one away to my Goddaughter for her sweet sixteen (the iPod Nano Red), I have a Mac mini under my desk, an old Mac G3 that I have a project waiting to be implemented on and many a lustful dream of new Apple hardware (i.e. dual 30" Apple Cinemas running from a dual boot Intel Core 2 Duo Mac tower of goodness with 16GB of memory, several terabytes of storage, dual slot-loading optical drives, Gigabit Ethernet pipe plus a fresh install of Leopard and Apple Premiere Pro running). Sorry, I digress.

Anyhow, the new iPhone is one snazzy beyatch of a device. It is a precursor, IMHO, of what the tru Video iPod should end up looking like; 4" screen, touch-screen controls, 100GB storage, built-in Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, the current demoed unit falls sort in the storage department and several other areas. All tis while being tied to one suspect carrier (Cingular) for two years and for mucho beans whiel other carriers and other devices are more flexible and available now for less money than the projected cost.

I seriously hope that Jobs and company is doing a smoke and mirrors, bait and switch deal to throw off the competition or lull them into a false sense of security. If not, I'd be dumping any Apple shares because they will make a big splat when they fall from the heights they grown accustomed to.

Peace.

2 comments:

marty finestone said...

It's too bad that we Canadians will not be seeing the iPhone for a while. Thus far there are no plans to bring it up here.

Dtrini said...

It will come for sure Marty. Rogers will be the first to carry it, I guarantee it. I just think, IMHO, that it is not truly ready for prime time yet. Jobs needs to do a better job to ensure it delivers what the others don't have but more importantly, at the very least what they already offer. And at a bloody better price point. I mean like, DAMN, that is some sticker shock.