Wednesday, March 08, 2006

TheStar.com - Students left in limbo

When have you ever known an employee to say, "Raise in my salary? No thanks." and really mean it? Well, we have that situation now with the union of teachers that have gone on strike and shut down the colleges. Having been both a teacher and a student, I understand the both sides and it really sucks for everyone involved. The teachers want to teach and the students (most of them) want to get their education.

The system has been broken for a very long time, and while I don't like disruptive strikes and I am not fond of unions (for many reasons), I do support the issues that the teachers are fighting for this time. I just wish it did not have to come at the expense of some students semesters.

The big problem I have with these situations is that everyone waits until its too late to come up with suitable compromises on both sides that they BOTH were willing to table in case this happens. Why bloody wait until the shit hits the fan to clean up the mess? Hopefully common sense will prevail and this will be a short strike.

Then again, this is Toronto. See you in a couple ofd months.

Ciao.

TheStar.com - Students left in limbo

No comments: