Thursday, March 02, 2006

Why Windows Vista will suck

Hey, don't blame me. I did not write the article. And from the article, I can see why I will eb taking my time with the next windows upgrade the same way I did with the last one.

I think I prefer the Apple of way of doing things. They allowed a certain percentage of pissed off people when they swapped from OS 9 to OS X; two very different foundations. They allowed for some backward compatibility while being upfront that it won't last forever. They then kept improving the OS so that thos who made the upgrade would continue to want the next one (currently at 10.4.x Tiger) and included enough items (i.e. iLife suite) to ensure the holdouts would be envious enough to finally let go of the past, and their pursestrings, and join the rest of the Apple clan.

Windows, Intel and AMD all still cling to the past far too much and for far too long. We would have much more innovation if they would simply have the stones to force the industry to move forward. ISA should have died a fast painful death ages ago. Memory should have been faster ages ago. All itmes that slow the system down in any way should have been banished long ago.

So, why are we still dealing with the holes of yesterday in what is supposed to be the OS of the nea future? Because of laziness, because of the rush to deliver a promise that should never have been made (remember Windows ME?). What ever it is, it ends up costing the consumer time and money. And quite frankly, I am a bit tired of being treated like a beta tester without any of the fringe benefits.

Vista. The few is already good from where I sit. Wake me when you're really done.

Ciao.


Why Windows Vista will suck

No comments: