Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Eclectic does not even begin to describe it.

Eclectic. Referring to our music tastes and preferences, mostly mine, one can only describe it as someone taking an HMV and throwing it into a magic bullet. The resulting puree is what I listen to. Right now, I have discovered I am still part punker, part hippie. CCR, Deep Purple, Fall Out Boy and Theory of a Deadman have kept my mind sharp this afternoon. Yeah, I know. Totally messed up listening. that is it though, I love music. All kinds. Be it world, hip hop, dance, house (but not the shitty modern stuff), rock, punk (but not acid), not much into metal, love new wave/alternative (but what is that really anymore?) and all sorts of variations in between. Disco, Rap, Classical, Jazz, Instrumental... you will find them all in our music library.

More than anything else, I think I use music to modify or augment the mood I am in. I used to block out my family strife when I was in high school by slapping on headphones and getting lost in Sade. When I drove, I typically had a booming system so I needed something that gave me a beat to weave through traffic and get me there faster. The type of songs I had with me meant the difference of an hour going to Montreal sometimes. I used to listen to classical while doing my homework and to wake up to so I was relaxed. Jazz while I did housework because it gave me a nice rhytym. Kaiso and Soca when I wanted a rub up.

Even time of day changed my musical tastes. When Humble and Fred rules CFNY 102.1, that is all I could listen to on the way to work. Anything else and I was not a happy camper upon arrival. On the way home though, I needed WBLK from Buffalo because they played the "drive home zone" with remixes of the funky stuff. Theses days, Starting From Scratch (sorry LB) and his remix hours are preferred listening. It's the most I can take Flow 93.5 at any one time; many personal and political reasons behhind that one which I will save for another post some day.

Anyhow, one of these days, I will figure out how to dump just the Album names and Artists maybe and post them online. I am actually proud of the fact that we have done more than our share of supporting the industry over the years. To be honest, that does not mean we have not sought out the odd one track on a shitty album that we liked or rare and hard to find songs from another era (i.e. house music from the 80's) via the various means on the Internet. thsoe are the exceptions though as we prefer to have the discs to ourselves so we can define what quality we rip them to iPod at.

Anyhow, I must get back to other things. Just needed to post while this was in my head. BTW, a remix of David Bowie (one of my faves) and Queen' Under Pressure is playing in my headphones right now.

Ciao.

No comments: