Sunday, March 30, 2008

Do the unions and other employees really think they are not already tracked?

If they believe they have been getting away with showing up late, not showing up at all, filing false time sheets/cards and generally "sticking it to the man", they are dumber than people thought they were. Everyday, there are cameras, card scanners, computer logins and other items that can be used to track where you have been and what you have been doing for the day. Doubt me? Ok, let's take my typical day.

I get up in the morning and I turn on the TV to watch Breakfast Television on CityTV (local Toronto morning show). The cable company's digital box sends a signal to Rogers Cable and let's them know that the box is on and what channel I am currently viewing. If I am on-call, I may log into my work's VPN to check mail and the ticket queue to ensure nothing was missed overnight. My work server and firewalls log that the authentication attempt and response, how long I was in the system and what applications I accessed. I leave the house and head into work. Enroute I will be picked up by the Highway 401 traffic cameras, and any security cameras owned by the police in certain areas, by any redlight cameras, and by any security cameras owned by malls and shops that capture any part of the road. If I use a drive-thru, like at Tim Horton's or McDonald's, the cameras there will see me come through and the bank will record where I was and how much I spent there if I decide to use debit. When I finally arrive at work, there are security cameras everywhere from the parking lot to just near my desk so my entire path from car to chair is recorded. I also have to scan in my security pass two or four times, path dependent, in order to get into my office area; one includes a biometric fingerprint reader. When I am at work, my login to my laptop, and access to all the applications I use, plus the Internet usage, is all logged and tracked in our firewalls and servers. All movement in and around the office is recorded by at least six security cameras. Yes, even when I go to the bathroom, since it is outside our office area, I will scan to get in and out of the doors, and will be seen on at least three cameras before a single drop hits the urinal. When I shutdown my laptop to head home, a new wave of recording begins.

So, exactly how more intrusive is a palm scanner going to be in a typical person's life? Negligible. I understand the whole "Big Brother" aspect of it all but if you intend to live in a modern city and use modern tools then you will need to learn how to cope with it all in a modern manner. And, for the record, whining like a little pissant about your privacy and rights is NOT a modern manner. The quote in the article is indeed about this being about control. Just when have you know a union to ever want to give any of it up once they have it? If all the union workers arrive on time, do their damn jobs, and leave when they are supposed to (with exceptions being logged by their superiors for HR to adjust timesheets accordingly) then this really is moot and nothing will change. That said, having worked with and in the government environment for some time, we all know why there this so much bitching about this. Well, suck it up buttercups!! Do your job, come and go when you are supposed to and none of this will change your life as you know.

Heh, sorry, I guess doing the right thing is a change.

Ciao.

Companies use scans to track workers - Security- msnbc.com

No comments: