Friday, August 19, 2005

I had to rethink this blog post.

You see, I was all ready to make a quick quip about the uselessness of a single nun praying but then as I read the article through something more came to mind.

As a Roman Catholic (lay would be kind, how about millennial?), it never fails to make me marvel at the hypocrisy that still abounds in the Christian faithful. As I asked my uncle one day, a preacher in Trinidad, when he was on one of his religious rants, why are we right? Every religion is based on a belief, faith as it were, with not a shred of solid proof that can say without a reasonable doubt that it is as one believes. We may have a leg up because the Christians and the Jews basically believe in one God (or Yahweh), while the Muslims acknoweldge Christ as a prophet I believe. So, why are we right?

Simply saying "because we are" or "we believe" is no longer good enough. The extremists "believe" yet everyone outside of their twisted, misguided group believe that they are horribly wrong. What gives us that extra something to make us right? The answer is that we are as right as the Jews, the Muslims, the Hindus, the Mormons, the whatevers. We are right because we believe in what we believe in. I will not begrudge anybody that right.

My problem is, when we know we are wrong, when something is wrong, why are we not equally as passionate, as willing to step forward and put our name and face into the limelight. We "believe" that whatever is wrong should stop happening but we do nothing or little to prevent or stop it.

My dear nun in England sits vigil outside of a catherdral because a movie she does not want made is being filmed. Little boys and girls are being molested by people in authority (not just priests). Will we be seeing an article next week when she learns the local pastor has been didling the town folk. I would bet my non-existent fortune that the answer would be no. And therein lies the hyprocrisy. Do as I say, not as I do.

You just cannot have it both ways.

Peace.

Print Story: Nun prays in protest at "Da Vinci Code" film on Yahoo! News

No comments: