Saturday, August 26, 2006

It's 1AM and DW has gone off to bed...

So, I was thinking, maybe I will go ahead and post this.

What the heck is wrong with some of you women?You all bitch and moan about not being looked after by your man and then bitch and moan when we try to look after you. Let me give you an example.

The other day, DW was on her way doing some errands before heading home from work. We Blackberry SMS on the way home to give gas price updates, urgent or interesting news tidbits, bitch about stupid motorists and traffic and/or discuss what is for dinner. On this particular day, I ask during our conversation, "Would you like to join me for dinner?" Now people (gents and ladies chime in), is there ANY other way to take that question than to mean I want to take my lovely wife out for dinner? I am seriously and honestly asking this question because I was quite put off with her response and our evening was very quiet because of it. I would liek any information on exactly when the meaning of that phrase changed. If you said it to someone in a club, it means date. If you said it in the office, it means date. If you said it on the street, it means date. So, why does my lovely wife think it means "What would you like me to pick up?"

One of my mentors raught me to not follow the "Hallmark holidays" and instead spontaneously and randomly surprise my spouse with dinner, flowers, gifts and attention throughout the year. That way, she gets a pleasant surprise from time to time and I am never in the doghouse for forgetting some arbitrary date set by some dead folks from long ago.

However, this whole thing goes to pot if one party is totally oblivious to the gesture. Suggestions and comments are requested and welcome.

Ciao.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO
Always 2 sides to every domestic dispute.

Penny said...

Take it from someone who loves to eat out (and I don't mean it *that* way), I'd never ignore a dinner request - in fact, I'm usually the one who asks "Can we go out for dinner?"

But I need to get the full story from your wife before I call judgement on this one.

Penny said...

Having now received all the details from Bonnie, I can tell you she did not blow you off (oh god, oh god the double entendres are horrible, but somehow appropriate).

In fact, I would say that she answered your question appropriately and I would do the very same thing.

:oP

Dtrini said...

Yes, but unfortunately Famine, it is impossible for me to properly present my side of the dispute as I reacted to a pattern of behaviour. Of course, to prove that pattern is really more work than I intended at the start of this post. Suffice it to say, I am as good with actions as I am with words so there is a new plan. I will restart my romance engine when I see hers start; it takes two to tango and I should not be the only lead. Nuff said.