Thursday, August 17, 2006

It's past 3AM and I must be dreaming.

Nope, it is not a dream. At least this part of the GTA was in full black out mode for about twenty minutes around 2:20AM this morning. I was in the garage, thankfully with a flashlight, when everything everywhere went black. First I thought it was this POS old house and all its bad wiring not liking my beer fridge run (I went for two cokes to help me finish some work), but the entire basement was out, the APCs were squealing and the little spinning disc on the hydro meter had stopped.

Now, if you have ever been to our place, you know that thing never stops with the small nuclear plant of machines we have connected here. If anything, I wonder sometimes how it doesn't spin right up and launch itself into orbit. Anyhow, I turned off what I could downstairs and made my way upstairs. I checked outside and verified that all the neighbours were out too. The night has an eerieness that makes me uneasy when it is that dark and quiet. It is very different in the city than out at a campsite.

I made my way upstairs where I checked the bathroom and noticed the night light was out. "So" you wonder, but it is a special type with a built-in emergency light and at present it was not lit. I surmised that since DW unplugs it to plug in that solar wind she calls a hair dryer, it probably did not get plugged back in properly and drained out the batteries. I mentioned this to DW when I woke her as I entered our bedroom. Sure enough, the alarm clock had lost all its settings so I fixed that and let her get back to sleep.

I'm back downstairs trying to finish up some work so I can get a little shut eye soon. Today is going to be a long day. I can feel it already.

Ciao.

No comments: