Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Climbing the standings in the Eastern Conference

Yes, I know it is sad in a way but I cannot help myself. I love the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team unconditionally and will support them with my dying breath. That said, do not think for a moment that I am also conditioned to accept the sad sack routine we exhibit each year. Right now we are in a catch twenty-two; we are only seven points out of a play-off spot and we are only three spots too high for the best chance at getting the number one pick in the next draft.

The question comes down to what is the best move for the hockey club, and the fans and not what is best for the pocket books of those useless sacks of shit owners, The Teacher's Pension. We should be YouTube-ing their faces all over the Internet so that they have the same visibility as those they employ to soak up our venom. Bunch of cowards!! Anyhoo, I digress.

Yes, ultimately, the best thing for this hockey club is to get top value for Sundin and a few others. Get the best draft pick and some prospects and rebuild this squad into the powerhouse that the cornerstone franchise of the NHL deserves to be. Dump the contracts of Raycroft (I was rooting for him but big disappointment) and McCabe (vilified unnecessarily but definitely less than we need) and clean up the lines from top to bottom with guys who actually want to play here and want to win here, understanding what it really means to play in this hockey mecca.

Sundin gets that but he is far too valuable in a trade to keep him. Tucker is a steal and a bargain for a player so gritty and determined, the likes of which we have not seen since my hero, Gilmour. And Vesa just keeps getting better and can be that superstar goalie if he gets a defensive core in front of him that he can trust and rely on; he needs to stop getting puck poison each night.

Anyhow, as streaks go, two in a row is but a fluke until you can repeat it more times than not. Fighting for our playoff lives, we need to repeat it often over the next while leading up to the end of season showdown with the Ottawa Senators.

Did I mention that DW and I have tickets?

Ciao.

2 comments:

Pam A. said...

Go Leafs Go!

Skibum said...

Until management shows some signs of giving a flying leap, I refuse to care and turn my loyal following to a team that does care about its fans.... GO FLAMES GO!