Friday, February 08, 2008

DW - Superwoman

DW almost never reads my blog so she probably won't even see this but I write it anyways. If you are not in the Toronto GTA or familiar with it, you may not know that we have had a decent dumping of snow in the last month. Not Calgary, east coast or even Chicago or Buffalo sized dumpings, but enough for us to sit up and take notice. In fact, they reported today that we have so far surpassed the last two years snowfalls combined already with two new snowfalls scheduled within the next week. Thankfully, years ago when when we lived a house with a six car driveway, we smartly (I begged, she relented after the first major snowfall) bought a 10.5HP Yardworks snowblower. And to think I nearly sold this thing at least a half dozen times. Sorry BaB, LH, and others; it is no longer for sale.

The problem with the loud, unwieldy beast, is that my wife has never really used it so when those wet, heavy, packing snows fell, she did what most people do; grabbed a shovel and started heaving. Now, I know this does not seem like a big deal but on our street you can tell the difference. Of all the people you see outside shoveling, DW may be one of two or three women and the ONLY one who has cleared the entire driveway herself!! So impressive is this that the guy across the street remarked how strong she is because his wife would not come out and do the same (back up buddy, she's mine).

She had some help from one of the neighbours with a snowblower recently while I was still out at work so last night we paid it forward by clearing the ice-packed pile of snow front in front of seven other neighbours' driveways. One guy across the street came out after we were all done and had this shocked look on his face when he realized the mound he drove over to get it was now completely gone. We did not even make it obvious that we did it so it may be a while before he figures it out. The lady across the street thanked us with a bottle of wine as well since her husband hurt his back clearing the first wave earlier and she herself was not well; very nice of her. I will use the wine for "medicinal" purposes, naturally.

Going back to my DW though, while I was schlepping the snowblower back and forth, she was cleaning up the remnants behind me that the snowblower did not get or left behind. And she did this after having already started on our mound with the intent to clear it all herself. I was tired and my head was hurting but I could not in good conscience let her do that back breaking work, AGAIN, when we had a machine to take care of it.

And after all that, and we get in, she still is more concerned with me getting a good soak (the vibrations off that thing could break bones) and a good meal (mmmm, samosas, thanks BrB). I ended up falling asleep on the couch in the family room and she did the same on the loveseat. In the morning, she made tea and lunch as always as we headed off in separate cars to the same dentist and then off to work on the other sides of the city.

Thanks DW. Lunch was great and you do more than your fair share. Just letting all know it is appreciated.

Ciao.

1 comment:

Pam A. said...

Thank you. :) And yes I do read your blog.