Monday, February 11, 2008

Look out Apple, sitting on your laurels can cost you customers.

Ok, so anyone that has been around me recently knows that I do NOT have a great love on for Sony right now. I think they are an evil company in that they insist on pressing proprietary protocols and devices onto the public even though time and the market tells them that open/shared protocols and standards will net them a much wider audience and greater customer satisfaction. This happened with BETA (VHS won), the Minidisc (CDRs and flash memory won), the MemoryStick (ALL other formats won) and on and on. Currently, they are primarily responsible for the pain we are feeling in the High Definition disc wars between Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Blu-ray may have an initial deeper penetration than HD-DVD but it is no where near winning the war because there is simply too much invested into HD-DVD for the fight to be given up so easily. And to think, they were a handshake away from cementing terms to have a single format. So, with all of that history and my disdain for it, why would I now be considering telling you to consider this latest Sony product?

Well, I love new technology and as much as I tend to be a loyal brand buyer, I like products to work as advertised, for a decent price, and to be better than what I had before in order for me to lay out my hard earned coin. I love the Apple iPhone and was very tempted to go out and get one in Buffalo, run the hack and use it on Rogers in Toronto but my determination to not have to carry more than one device (currently an 8000 series Crackberry from work) for my needs insists that something better has to be on the way. I need a phone, PDA, multimedia player and a Blackberry connector. The new Sony phone coming out, the XPERIA X1, is almost the holy grail I am looking for.

This unit will be based on Windows Mobile 6. I have an older HP iPaq 5450 that runs the same software but two generations older. I can tell you it is a most capable operating system and the newest versions are more stable, faster and much more capable than my standalone PDA. The fact that this unit has a higher resolution screen means better video displaying than the iPhone is capable of. The fact that it has a slide-out keyboard means that it will be easier to type quick messages and much easier for much longer documents. The fact that it has more user customizable options means a greater sense of control by the consumer and that feel good sense one gets when one can personalize the look and feel of their own device. The fact that it has an FM radio just GLARINGLY points out a major shortcoming on ALL of Apple's devices. Why are they the only company incapable of including an FM radio IN the actual unit instead of as a pricey, remote or attaching add-on? Did I mention the built-in GPS? Or the 520Mhz ARM11 processor which clocks at almost TEN times the speed of my original IBM 286XT computer?

The one thing I don't see mentioned, and it would be my personal deal breaker, is the ability to use the much rumoured but yet to be seen by me Blackberry Connect software that can turn an ordinary smartphone into a soft-crackberry. If they can make it compatible to this software, allowing the ability to connect to a Blackberry Enterprise server, then I would promise to buy one, right here, right now. Anyhow, I am sure there are more things that it has that the iPhone does not but I think you get the gist of it. This unit could vary well be the iPhone killer device the industry has been looking for. Just don't expect Steve and company to sit back and allow that to happen. Can you say iPhone 2.0?

Ciao.

IT Business

Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Pam A. said...

From what I've seen of the Blackberry Connect software, which I could not get to work for one of our remote users with a phone that is supposed to work with that software, it seems to only work if the user is on the corporate LAN/WAN and not outside of it. It needs to be able to talk directly to the BES server and it doesn't seem to be able to do that in a remote config.