Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Thanks for nothing, To$hiba and Micro$oft!!! And least supply the lube for free next time!

So, with the largest manufacturer supporter pulling out of the HD DVD stronghold (more like running for the hills after a solid beatdown), that format is going to crumble under the vacuum. I would never have thought I was going to have to say this but, Sony and Disney wins. Welcome to the era of the Blu-Ray disc. Welcome to being screwed until the next latest and greatest format wars emerge. We are such suckers, we poor consumers, that we will continue funding these idiots far into the future without punishing them for their disloyalty to their early adopters and loyal followers. I for one will be stocking up on all the fire sales of HD DVD titles wherever I can (where it makes sense to, read Planet Earth and Heroes boxed sets) but now, sadly, I will be saving up to get one of the cheapest Blu-Ray units out there, the Sony PS3.

As for Toshiba, I hope their stocks tank like there is increased gravity only around their sites and it all falls like nothing is there to stop them. I will be one of many, I am sure, letting Toshiba know (and maybe Microsoft too) just how much they screwed up the handling of this whole fiasco. Microsoft, and their typical wishy washy adoption techniques means that they added the HD DVD as another unit to buy instead of including it into the unit itself like the PS3 did. As such, you had millions of Xbox 360 buyers passing on paying more money for the format instead of adopting it since they already had the drive to play with. STUPID mistake and wasted opportunity.

I really despise Sony in so many ways. Betamax (short tapes). Minidisc and Attrac3, closed format. Memory Stick, puhleeze. I said all of those would get run over by the competing, more open, industry standard formats. How could I have been so wrong on this one? Sigh. Know anyone with a cheap 20GB or 60GB PS3 with the Emotion engine to sell?

Ciao.

No comments: