Friday, February 01, 2008

Guess I should have shaved the beard?

I was heading up Markham Road, enroute to work in Markham. It's snowing and cold outside and during these types of days, my DW knows I have a simple set of rules. If it is just kind of cold and slow, I will offer a ride to a woman and child or elderly person if I see them at a bus stop waiting in my direction and no bus in sight. If it is bitterly cold, city is nearly stopped, I will offer to whomever can fit in the vehicle. It's the leats I can do and it was readily accepted when the city was shutdown some years ago with the massive storm.

Today, I saw a young Oriental lady, maybe in her early twenties, pacing in the shelter waiting for the northbound bus with a small child about six or so. I figured that I could do my good deed for the day and slid my window down, yelling out to her. Unfortunately, she did not speak a lot of English but I perservered and got my intentions across as she said she was going to Sheppherd, which was the next main intersection up. I explained that I could take her and the child there but she hesitated and decided that she was okay but thanks anyhow.

I wasn't upset with her but I am upset that our society, my city, has gotten so jaded and suspect that a simple courtesy can no longer be accepted between "neighbours" without wondering what that person wants or what that person would end up doing to you. I felt sorry that she decided to stay in the cold as I saw no bus in the rearview behind me and the roads were getting worse and more laden with traffic. Still, I would have probably confirmed her fears if I had gotten out of the Roo and approached her so I waved, put my window up and continued on to work.

Maybe next time, I guess. I just wonder if it was the beard in the darkness of the truck. I think i will shave this weekend.

Ciao.

No comments: