Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Blog-a-thon Answers for Mossy Stone

Here are the answers to the questions which Mossy Stone has asked me.

_______________________________________________________

Q1. Skibum, Albert Einstein, Wendell Clark, Doug Flutie and Kofi Annan are having dinner together at a nearby Dim Sum joint. Describe their food selections and tell me who picks up the check.

A1. As a note, I answered this one last because it takes a bit of work, so let's get to it. Skibum, Wendell and Dougie are good Canadian boys so we know they have been exposed to all sorts of cultures. They'll order anything but chicken feet and camel's hump. Dougie will mainly stick to his carb options (some pork buns, egg noodles and rice). Wendell will want whatever protein is available. Skibum pretty much eats whatever he feels like (he’ll tell you it is all energy for the slopes but the only slope of concern is the arc from table to mouth). Many belt holes will be adjusted. Albert Einstein, known to not want to waste precious brain power on thoughts and choices of little consequence, will simply eat bits and pieces from whatever the gang orders. It is the most efficient way for him to get a full meal. As for Mr. Annan, well what can we say? I don’t think he has cannibalistic tendencies so I doubt he’ll eat anything either slimy or anything that tends to scurry away easily.

As for who would pick up the bill, Einstein is the smartest so he will efficiently find himself anywhere else but near the bill. The Canadian Boys will do their best impression of the Trailer Park Boys (guess which one is Bubbles) and first fight not to pay it before fighting to pay for it. Kofi, the dear man, will not want to interfere in the affairs of others and quietly excuse himself form the whole affair while insisting that they all play nice in the same sandbox.

Q2. You've just been appointed as "Member without Portfolio" at work, reporting directly to the CEO. What are your first three "executive" decisions?

A2. Oh my, danger, danger Will Robinson! In no particular order, the following directives would go out. First, everyone understand that this is 2005 that there is more to work than work and that the culture of a company likes ours relies on and responds best when that culture (a set of learned beliefs, values and behaviours; the way of life shared by the members of a society)is encouraged to grow. Second, I'd get someone in HR that understood, REALLY understood, the first directive and executed hiring practices to help promote and nurture the culture (while meeting the business needs of course) not hamper or suppress it. Third, I'd ensure that there was a pure process for getting ideas from the employees to the people that can do something with it. I'd hire someone to actually look at the ideas, complaints, concerns and such and give all of it serious thought. Fostered in the right cultured, no one would ever fear for speaking up when something needed to be fixed because the culture would dictate that the ONLY goal was to be the best for our clients and to do things right the first time and fix it ASAP when it is simply not working. The blame game would be an intolerable action written into all contracts as a dismissible action (of course, toadying, snaking and alright sliminess falls under dismissible offences as well). Hmmm, I think I just created a position for myself.

Q3. If your DW and my DW got together what do you think they'd talk about?

A3. Holy smack, this is a dangerous question. I've been witness many times to two hens yapping (Redsometimes, Mrs. Gray, KJ, Gina, The Bride Killers, all come to mind). Knowing my DW, it would involve talks about how each couple got together, the wedding, in-law foibles, the little things I do that piss her off, how much she loves me regardless... and Reality Shows. Sprinkle in talks about the kids, extended families, a little work and cooking/baking. :) Oh oh, and BBQ. She LOVES to BBQ.

Q4. Tell me about a time when someone you admired disappointed you.

A4. This is probably the hardest question because feelings are involved. Anyone that knows me knows my entire life is lived like a binary bit; either on or off, black or white. I am a rather simple character which makes me so complicated to those who cannot deal with that. Specific to this question, I cannot print some of the worst ones here. Okay, back in high school, I had a geography teacher that I really admired for his strength, character and knowledge. He was (and still is) very active in the black community fighting for social equality. It happens that this particular time he was attending, and protesting, the Hart House (U of T) invitation of a South African ambassador to speak. This sparked a load of controversy because Apartheid was still running at full steam at the time. Needless to say, things got heated and it the heat of the moment, my teacher, the man who scolded me in a hallway for not being a better example to those students below me, picked up a ceremonial mace (and a rather heavy one at that) and heaved it in the direction of the Ambassador. He was taken out but I do not think he was charged. Unfortunately, his picture and that of the mace, was plastered on the front page of papers and the TCDSB threatened to fire him. I and some other students wrote letters and spoke to other teachers and administration to fight for his job. We even spoke to him directly and said what we thought he did was wrong and could not condone his actions, but we understood and supported him. It was a very defining time for me. For some more information, please check the CBC Archives.

Q5. How did you cope with being in a new culture after moving from Trinidad?

A5. This is the easiest question. I moved from Trinidad when I was two years old in October of 1970. So, I really am a supplanted native. While I never grew up there, and I never went to school or worked there, I identify so strongly with there as my second home thanks to my parents. They instilled a sense of pride in our roots and culture, while ensuring that we embrace our current home, Canada. Funny thing is, when I am in Canada, people ask where I am from because they hear an accent and I say Trinidad. When i am in Trinidad, it is the same question and I say I am from Canada (while trying to avoid a fight when they insist on calling me a Yankee).


Many thanks to Mossy Stone for being gentle. Gives his blog some love as he is a good egg. ;)

____________________________________________________


Here are the rules for this Blog-a-thon:

I'll offer to interview the next how many ever people to respond to this post that will follow these rules:

1. Leave me a comment saying "interview me." Please also leave your blog address.
2. I will respond by asking you five questions here. They will be different questions than the ones above.
3. You will update YOUR blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

3 comments:

Mossy Stone said...

Well done indeed. I'd forgotten how young you were when you moved, hence the question. I, too, consider Doug Flutie an Honorary Canadian, despite his US Citizenship. ;-)

Kristin said...

Dtrini, the position you describe already exists - you may have to discuss with Clive Beddoe, Don Bell, Tim Morgan and Mark Hill if you're allowed to sit with them ;-)

Dtrini said...

Maybe so, but Dougie is much more fun than those stiffs.