Friday, February 03, 2006

Overdue political commentary.

Sigh. Okay, so my beloved Liberals lost the national election and therefore there will be a new Prime Minister. My local guy (Tom Wappell), whom I will be sending a rather snarky letter to, won again so that is okay. Yes, I stuck with the vote and voted Liberal again. I knew they were probably out but for me there simply was no other choice.

Now we have Mr. Harper, leader of the Conservatives in power. Hmmm. Forgot the usual crap, let's just be upfront on this shall we? This is the leader of a party that is the combination of two parties that were both on the brink of extinction. Smartly they joined forces to fight the powerful Liberals, but therein lies the issue for me.

The two parties that combined were made up of the original Progressive Conservatives (PC or Tories) and the Reform party. That second partner is where I have the most problems as they had confirmed racists that were kicked out of the party (only because they were stupid enough to voice their views in public). There is not a whole lot of tolerance in may areas throughout that party and as such, will never get a vote from me.

As for Mr. Harper himself, if there was ever a more wooden, non believable person to run a country, you would have to show him or her to me. For a man that has family values as part of his platform, including rescinding the gay marriage law, he has a funny way of showing it. On the first day after becoming PM-designate, he was shown to be taking his two children to school; one boy and one girl. As he let them off into the school yard, each turned and SHOOK their father's hand. Excuse me? This is the warmth of the nation we are to expect? A hand shake and a smile?

We are so beyond (*&^)(*&) nobody will get it until it is too late; nobody that voted for him that is. And on that subject, how about digesting this little fact. While the Conservatives won the overall election, they failed to earn ONE single seat of power in any of the three major power centres of Canada; Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver all shut them out. Now, when the business powers and cultural centres of the nation tell your party "Bite Me!", you have to wonder what is wrong with you.

Sure, you got the prairie vote (simply because oil money and greed is clouding their common sense), you got the small town vote (simply because they believe that you can actually do something for them an will) and you got the French non-separtist vote (simply because they wanted to try anything to get Gilles pushed out). Atlantic Canada still hates you, the highly populated areas hate you and the premiers are very concerned that you will not keep the promises of the outgoing government in terms of the federal funds for the various programs needed.

I would love for Mr. Harper and his group to do wondrous things and prove me wrong. I will blog it right here that I was so very wrong. However, I really believe that I will be back here in eighteen months saying I told you so and readying to vote the next Liberal PM into power.

Good luck Canada. Dubya's new best friend is at the helm.

Peace.

No comments: