Thursday, July 07, 2005

In Memoriam

And, I hope that by some small miracle, this is premature. Unfortunately, it really is not looking that way right now.

On Friday, July 1st, Canada Day, Laura Flanagan went out canoeing as he always did; only this time, she did not return. Her Canoe, and her life vest, were found, but on deep Halls Lake (apparently one of the deepest in Ontario); her body has yet to be recovered. That always leaves out some hope and room for miracles. One needs to be realistic though and that is where the pain begins, and hopefully, the healing as well for all involved but especially for the family.

My direct connection to Laura is that she was first my colleague and then my boss at Seneca College - Don Mills Campus (recently moved to the York Campus). I do not have a single bad word to say about Laura as she was friendly and fair and a good person at heart. When the good ones go, it takes that much more from you.

I hate some life lessons, but without them how would we grow? Be safe in your summer adventures and invest, understand and (most importantly) USE every single option available to you to keep safe and to return home after your adventure. Use every thing available to you to be easily found should something befall you. And as we are always telling TC, ALWAYS ensure that someone is aware of your whereabouts at all times.

Life is precious, short and mainly fragile. Events like London's bombings this morning and Laura's tragic disappearance continues to show us that we need to get our head straight and ensure what we consider important to truly be that. Reevaluate your own life and make sure you are not getting buried in flotsam. I certainly take pause when this happens to try to do that in my own life. I am not there yet but I am working on it.

I just really hate these extra lessons to teach me that.

The Dtrini clan sends its extended condolences to the family of Laura. Let her rest in peace and may they heal quickly.

Adieu.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

An excellent post as a reminder to take stock in the important things of life. I'm very sorry for your loss.