Monday, March 07, 2005

I'm on a roll this Monday.

I will be the first to admit that I am a fairly strict father. I feel I have to be in order to keep our daughter safe in the society of today. We were discussing this on the weekend. In our time (Gawd I sound old), I used to get up in the morning during summer holidays and eat breakfast with the morning cartoons around 8AM. As soon as I could convince my mother to say yes, I was gone into the neighbourhood to play with my friends.

Not next door, not across the street, into the neighbourhood (which was essentially Kennedy to McNichol to Birchmount to Finch. The only stipulation was to check in from time to time and if I was going to be extended someplace or venture into another area (like Agincourt Mall, though that was not to be seen till high school), then I was to come home and say where the pay has been shifted. Heck, when I wanted to go to the old neighbourhood back at Vic Park and Finch, I just had to say and off I went riding.

So, what has changed? EVERYTHING. We cannot afford to trust ANYONE. How sad is that? I am not a fear monger and I am not a prude. I am a realist and sick, punk *&%^(*&^s are showing up everywhere; the priesthood, Cubs and Scouts, babysitters, soccer coaches, the variety store, daycares, Bay Street, and right next door to someone you know.

Like I said, I am no prude so I would forgive the accidental peak or even the curious one-time peak at shit you know you just should not be lookign at. But, when you NEED to look at that stuff, need to horde it, need to make your own fresh because your recent batch of sick shit you downloaded off the IRC channels do not "do it" for you anymore, then you, and my Lousiville Slugger, need to talk.

In the case of this misguided soul in the link below, it is another argument about cultures and how we deal with things. I could never do what some of these people think they are rightly doing to save virture of the child or, most often, honour and 'face' of the family. I could never take a life that I consider most precious above my own. I could never hurt someone I claim to love more than life itself. I just could not do it.

Too bad for this girl that unfortunately I am not her father, this useless sack of crap is. And he could, and did, hurt her. I need iced tea.

Peace.

EDITOR'S NOTE: BTW, TK, we love you. :)

CANOE -- CNEWS - Law: Dad guilty of stabbing daughter

No comments: