Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Today's Idiot! - Classics

Hey there, I thought in conjunction with the previous post, I would share a classic story of a set of dangerous idiots I saw a year or so ago.

So, the story begins with my usual trek to work in the morning (stop laughing Skibum, I do show up sometimes). I head west along St. Clair, then I go west along O'Connor, down to Don Mills, onto the DVP, off at Bloor, down Parliament, west on Wellesley, south on Church and voila, home sweet home. Let me back up to where the incident happened though.

So, I am sitting in rush hour traffic at the O'Connor light looking west. Unbelievably, this East Indian couple starts across the road in between the stopped cars as they try to make the bus sitting in front of the nursing home. That would not be too unusual, as everyone has done this at some point knowing the crappy TTC will not be along again for some time (but I digress). However, this couple was PUSHING a baby stroller, with a baby in it... in front of them!! Again, not so unusual, though not too bright either. Here is the dangerous, idiotic and yes, I would consider very bad parenting part.

They never looked. These asinine folks actually were so intent on getting to the bus that they ran out from between the stopped cars and into the oncoming traffic passing lane. The BIG problem with this is, as anyone form the area knows, the northbound right lane has an advanced green turn arrow. So, yeppers, they waltzed right out, BABY in front in the stroller, into the path of an oncoming vehicle!!!

Horns started blowing from all corners. The bus driver's face was one of shock. The guy driving towards them must have dropped a load because if he was not driving the small shitbox he was, those three folks were dead that morning. Luckily for everyone involved (I did NOT need to witness that event that morning), he had enough space to swerve in the bus' lane and stop before hitting them. They continued across the street and the bus driver looked like he was giving them shit for the stunt they just pulled. I think when they were getting on the bus they seemed to realize that they just missed Death's express bus. The guy in the car gathered himself, acknowledge the praising waves, glances and nods, and he continued on his way. Our group finally got a green light and we all continued to our places of employment.

Look both ways never had more dire consequences that in this case of near fatality. So, be on the lookout for this especially dangerous type of idiot; the totally clueless.

Ciao.

No comments: