Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Just one for the road

Ok, really, do I NEED to explain why this ass should be slapped around in public? I think though that City and others should seize this spotlight on the bus drivers to get a crackdown on the slackness that goes on everyday. I know you just think I am pontificating again, but hear me out. Go to a local neighbourhood and sit by a stop sign along the route. You will be shocked at how few of the school buses obey any of the laws except for the stop at a red and stop at a railway crossing. I've witnessed people rolling through stop signs with a full load. I've seen them turn right on a red ahead of oncoming traffic. An unsignalled lane change is an everyday occurence.

And yes, I have on one really bad occasion called into Laidlaw to report the driver. Enough of us do not do this to try to promote better driving. I think it is typically because we do not connect with who is on the bus if it is not our children. Unless you follow the bus on its route every morning (which would mean you had time to drop the child(ren) in the first place), you really cannot say that you KNOW everyone is safe. So, the next time you see a bad or dangerous driving example in a TTC vehicle (I complained about a blatantly racist driver once and got him sent for retraining) or school vehicle, make a note of the time, the vehicle number and what happened. Then, call the respective company and lodge a proper complaint against the person.

We cannot afford to say, "It's not my problem."

Ciao!

No comments: