Thursday, May 26, 2005

Tagged by Penny Shagwell (books)

1. Total Number of books I've Owned: I kid you not when I say that the number has been in the thousands. I used to be a very prolific reader in school and would force my folks to shell out money every time the Scholastic book pamphlet came out. For the Read-A-Thon, I was always top reader with triple figures read each time (costing my sponsors much coin on a per book basis). The test of whether I read the books were always passed as I recalled details in all of them. We have several boxes of catalogued books in the basement coming to a garage sale this summer.

2. The Last Book I Bought: I bought the book for LB, not for me. The complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy five part trilogy in a single volume. Imagine that he lives in Ottawa, passes the "Zaphod Beeblebrox" bar often and did not know it was not just a funny name. This travesty has to be corrected.

3. Last Book I Read: I am sadly still trying to read it. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (book five in the Harry Potter series). Yes, I am hooked.

4. Five books that mean a lot to me (hard one):

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (entire trilogy)- (naturally) by Douglas Adams. Simply one of the best series ever written, if one enjoys off-beat humour and can stretch your imagination. Arthur Dent used to be my nickname in the original bulletin boards. Also, sadly, I played the computer game (text-based on a Commodore 128) and could not advance past the Vogon starship until a friend in summer school pointed out that I needed to stick the Babel fish in my ear to understand the commander. "What?", I asked. "You did read the book, right?", she inquired. "Books?", I answered stupidly. So, off to Bridlewood Mall she dragged me at lunch and made me buy the book. I have been hooked since then and should still have my original copy in one of those boxes.

The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit series - J.R.R. Tolkien. Not just some books, but an entire platform of imagination and wonder and fantasy. I grew up with Dungeons and Dragons and guys who painted the figures for that and Rings so it was a great pleasure to reread the books before watching the movies.

A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle. I derive extra pleasure from this book as life came full circle with my daughter's wide-eyed astonishment that I had read and loved the book and the sequel. To this day, when I am distracted and doodling, I still attempt to draw Tesseracts of varying sizes.

Rendezvous With Rama - Arthur C. Clarke. Okay, this is a strange one to list as it is one of the few books that I started and never finished. I lost the book many moons ago and just have never bothered buying a new one. What I did read though still has a hold on me and it is on my list of to-do things before I die. (Note: I just learned that a movie is coming out in 2006.)

A Splinter in the Mind's Eye - Arguably one of the best Star Wars books ever written. It was the first one I decided to buy (some time ago now). I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and the name has always stuck firmly in my mind. I think that is definitely a measure of the impact someone's writing has on you.

There are many more but thankfully we have been limited to five. I will, of course, have to tag MsMittens. I would also like to tag Famine if he would so indulge me (simply paste your response here and I will post it since you do not blog...yet!)

Ciao.

1 comment:

Penny said...

You and I have a great deal in common when it comes to books. I simply adored A Wrinkle in Time. Wasn't it that book where you'd find the poem,
"One and one is always two,
Each alone, here's me, there's you.
The mathematics of the heart
Add together what's apart.
The sum of being friends is done,
To prove that one and one make one."

I also played Hitchhiker's on my best friend's Commodore and we knew that we had to get the Babelfish into our (collective) ear, but could never do it. It always swam away and stuff. Never got past the Vogon ship, I'm afraid.

Looking forward to the ROTB tonight.