Thursday, May 26, 2005

Tagged by Penny Shagwell (Movies)

1. How many movies do you own? Sigh, sadly I must admit that I have an obsession. Our library is currently stocked with over 1100 DVDs and about 50 remaining VHS tapes (which will be converted, except for certain irreplaceable items).

2. What was the last film you bought? Blade - Trinity. I know it was not the best of the series and was cheapened somewhat, but I like the character and I like Snipes.

3. What was the last film you watched? In the theatre? At home, I think the last thing we had a chance to watch, finally, on DVD is Gone In Sixty Seconds (oh mi gawd, I want Eleanor!!). In the theatre, you are kidding right? We went to the 12:01AM showing of the final installment in the prequel trilogy of George Lucas' masterpiece Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith.

4. What are five films that you watch a lot or mean a lot to you?

Oh sure, why not just friggin torture me with this one. Only five? Only fifty would really be pushing the envelope. We watch so many genres (i.e. horror, comedy, musicals, chick-flicks, action, documentary, etc.) that it is very hard to narrow down. The following selection was made in great pain but it is the best that I can do to pare things down to this granular level.

The Sound of Music - We own the DVD and have watched it with our old neighbours when we got it. Still, every year that it plays, we watch it on TV. Such is the power of this film that can have a grown man singing out loud about his "Favourite Things". The story, the vistas, Julie Andrews, everything about this movie makes it one of the best of all time. It is one of the few movies that can get me out of any funk I may be in.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - I was forbidden by DW to watch all three showings over the weekend on TBS for many years. When the DVD came out, she was relentless in waging holy war against it crossing our doorstep and coming into our home. She finally relented after years of begging and we do indeed own it. She hates that I quote the movie mere seconds ahead of the line producing an annoying echo. She hates that I probably could rescripted the entire movie from memory. Most of all she hates my insistence on watching it every single &^%&*&^%() time it shows on TV.

The Princess Bride - Quite simply, the movie I consider to be my favourite of all time. Are there technically better movies? Sure. Are there better acted or more moving movies? Sure. There is just something about this movie that takes me up and keeps me in its world. It is fantasy, action, adventure, comedy and love story all in one. Yes, I can quote from this one as well (Inconceivable! I do not think that word means what you think it means!), but it does not show twelve times a year like FB does so DW tolerates it much more. Plus, she likes it too.

Top Gun - Ok, do not laugh, but I went to see this movie by myself (as I often did in the 80's and 90's) at the Markville Mall theatre. I was in absolute awe at the aerial acrobatics and the tail that pilots got. My mother always wanted me to join the military like my big brother did. I think she was pleased when I returned home from the movie, went into my parents bedroom and proclaimed that I wanted to be an Air Force pilot. Today, barely being able to fit into a cockpit, it remains one of the best movies of all time to showcase just how loud one's surround sound system is.

Bloody Hell. What to choose as my fifth? The Wrath of Khan? The Empire Strikes Back? A Nightmare on Elm Street? Nope, I actually have to go to another unlikely musical that has the same effect on me as the Sound of Music, but will not generally show up on your TV tunes regularly. My final pick is South Park - Bigger, Longer & Uncut. - Say what you will, South Park translated to the big screen in a way that the Simpsons never could. It pushed the envelope so far that when the censors finally stepped in, they made fun of that as well. What other movie could get away with doing what any self-respecting IT person has wanted to do for ten years? Who else could piss off so many religious and ethnic groups in a short two hour span? Who else could tackle the hypocrisy that is the moral fabric (extreme violence is okay, sex and naughty words will destroy the world) of America? Nobody by the guys at the helm of South Park would dare to do it and, being an animated "parody", be able to get away with it without losing their shirts in lawsuits. Hell, people are probably afraid to sue them for looking so stupid in suing a cartoon that actually tells the whole truth.

Now, I'm frickin' exhausted. Thanks Penny!!

MsMittens and Famine can also consider themselves tagged, natch.

2 comments:

Penny said...

Yer welcome. I feel I know you so well now. Of course, that doesn't have anything to do with the hours we spent together last night! When are we doing that again?

Dtrini said...

Dear Mossy, the hours together last night that PS is referring to is strictly concerning the time the GROUP spent at Big Daddy's. The "doing that again" she refers to is not THAT, but also to the GROUP time again. Just wanted that to be clear from the outset. :)

That said, just say the word.