Wednesday, April 26, 2006

How was your Monday?

A late post, so sue me. From midnight Monday morning, I was on a doctor ordered fast as I had to do some tests that morning for my annual checkup. My doctor, Dr. R., is also from Trinidad and a straight talker. Anyone who knows me knows I have little patience for ignorance or BS, just give me the facts then go away (part of my sparkling social people-hater personality). Anyhow, I go in expecting what he is going to say but fearing there may be something more. In typical Trini style, my appointment was for 8AM, I got there at 8:30AM and he did not see me until 9:30AM.

Thankfully, no clothes had to be shed this time around. No playing marbles with the boys. No greasing up and goosing. Nope, just a plain old blood pressure check (absolutely normal and steady like last time), a weight check (steady with my tubby self, but still way to high), a girth check (suffice it to say that I can not be described as rotund) and a round of blood work in the lab downstairs. The doc himself had to lose some weight due to a ruptured disc. He spoke about the recent studies that linked girth in males to a reduction in life span. Yes, they are directly proportionate it seems. I am okay with doing things, it is the getting started that stumps me. Thankfully, DW has started the trend so I will follow her and it will be good for both of us.

The lab tests are the real kicker though and I have to admit that I am a little worried about them this time out because I have not exactly been a good boy lately. The concern comes not only from my current condition (that would be fat) but from family history and genetic markers. There are not many people you will meet that have as many predisposed illnesses in their family tree. Of course, that list includes a lot of the big ticket items like Cancer, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Kidney Disease, Arthritis, Bad Circulation and a slew of other nasties. So, the doc keeps a watchful eye on certain flags to ensure we catch any potential problems early. So far so good but I need to stop pressing my luck. I have a family to be here for.

Anyhow, after the doctor I went for breakfast at a local Greek greasy spoon. It is a quaint little shop with only four or five, two-seater tables. They make amazing food though so I had a large OJ with a sourdough omelet sandwich. Mmmmmm. Then it was back to the grindstone in the dungeon (MS and PS still cannot believe how much crap we can cram into such a small space). You know, common sense, especially in the corporate world, really is an endangered species. Sometimes I just wanna wring the stupidity out of some people.

Apparently that is a felony though. Pity.

Ciao.

No comments: