Sunday, April 09, 2006

Tiz the season

I have been trying to remember to write this post for some time now and since I am up and WIDE awake, I may as well do it now. As the last of the winter cold, snow and blahs start to move out of the city, we experience the changing of the seasons. No, I am not talking about that little date in the calendar that reads "First Day of Spring"; I am talking about something completely different. There are actually multiple seasons in change so let me explain from least annoying to least tolerable.

Stupid people/ignorant people/stereotypical women drivers. Look, don't shoot the messenger. I really hate people who are stupid and ignorant simply because they are too lazy to educate themselves. This would include the class on "if it looks as big as a truck, move the f**k out of the way more quickly when crossing against the red" and the seminar on "yes, getting hit by that could kill me". This group also missed the memo on why it is not wise to exit a driveway or enter and on-ramp perpendicular to the much faster oncoming traffic at a much slower speed than said traffic. The stereotypical women drivers chime in when those who never drive in winter because, well, they suck and blow at it, decide it is safe to come out of hibernation now and continue their war on traffic flow. That sign says 60km/h where 'h' stands for hours not helium, house, hemispheres, hostels or anything else compeletely irrelevant to the progression of your vehicle in the direction of flow at the same rate as the rest of the flow you dared to join. If you cannot drive at least at the speed limit of the roadway you are on (much less WITH the traffic you are a part of), then you seriously need to find a new route, highway or country to drive in. I bundle older, er, mature, adults in this category as well. Cricket, my "Today's Idiot" posts will begin anew.

Next on my shitlist are cyclists. Sorry MsMittens but though I am sure you do not fall into this category, many of your colleagues do. Already I have witnessed the irritating behaviours of SOME cyclists. Yes, yes, as stated above, there are lots of idiots and other people who should nto have licenses that are on the road, but in their defence they are surround by one to four tons of body-mangling vehicle. So, were I cycling anywhere remotely in the core of Toronto, on those shitty narrow streets of ours, the last thing I would want to do is blindly turn the corner out of a side street, bursting through the stop sign, and head right in front of oncoming traffic during rush hour as people try to make their way home in haste. I also would not venture outside of the desingate bike lanes simply to pass a slower cyclist, oblivious to that bus or delivery truck that had to slow down to not interrupt you bone-headed manouver with your certain death. Finally, I doubt I would run the red light, repeatedly, because no cars seem to be coming in the direction that currently has the green lights. I witnessed all of these behaviours on the way home from work downtown last Wednesday; ONE EVENING. This is insane and the cops need to start nailing these assholes before someone gets seriously hurt. I have had two friends seriously hurt in bike-vehicle mishaps (neither was their fault) and in the end, the vehicle always wins. My friend in high school had his promising racing career (he was third in Ontario) ended and our other friend, she still suffers from the damage to her arm and shoulder. Something needs to be done.

Finally on the topic of changing seasons is the one I hate the most: The return of begging season! Mere moments after the snow and wet has moved of the sidewalk and I am accosted with requests for money for everything from help, food to my favourite "I am short x amount to get my prescription filled as this person wheels down Yonge street. Now, if you really needed the prescription filled and you were hard up would you not think that a) a drugstore may help you with the fees if you live int he neighbourhood and always get your drugs there or b) you would beg AT the drugstore in question since people may be more inclined to go inside with you and pay that small dispensing fee you are claiming you owe? Yep, a whole lotta poppycok is what I smelled there. Typically, if we walk to lunch up Yonge from the downtown office during the summer, we run the gauntlet of approximately three or four, per side, in a two block walk. That is simply unacceptable. And before you bleeding hearts start yapping at me understand something about me first. I will gladly buy someone a coffee/tea or a meal if they ask for that, but I will not give anyone money ever again. Long ago I gave someone five bucks and he told me flat he was not using it for food or somethjng non-alcoholic to drink and it was the last time I gave money to anyone. If you go to the Beer Store on Gerrard during the summer, you will see a lineup that usually starts at 9:30AM (about the time I am getting into work) on most weekdays. No suits, no retirees, nobody you would expect to be at home with time on their hands or a need to run this errand this early. WHO NEEDS BEER ON A TUESDAY AT 10AM?!?! Ok, as a beer drinker maybe that is the wrong question to ask but you get my drift. DW and I were at George's Chicken (a famous BBQ chicken place downtown) and this guy was there in the store asking for money. He was polite and plesant enough and I told him flat that I do not and will not give him money. However, if he is hungry and wants something to he and drink, I will buy it for him. He thanked us and accepted and I paid for his dinner. I think a lot of people like myself would do the same but we are all simply fed up with the begging for money and the unbelievable attitude and grief a lot (not all) of these people give you when you do not give them anything; like you OWE them. I think not!

I cannot wait till Squeegee-kid season starts so I can bang on my windshield or turn the wipers on when some dumbass ignores our wave-off of their "services". Uhm, excuse me, but The Roo only gets washed in Evian(tm) okay? So, unless you have that in your bucket, PISS OFF!

Ciao.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh.. it's ok. I know how you feel about some of those cyclists. Some people just don't belong on the street period as they don't understand how to deal with society and interact properly.