Sunday, April 23, 2006

She would have ripped him a new one.

Have to be careful with these type of posts. It is very sensitive where I work so details and such are a big no-no and grounds for dismissal. That said, with details left out to make it very generic, all is fair in love and war.

So, I am on-call this week (means 24-7 coverage) and as such, tickets coming in at any hour is expected as are certain updates and calls. That said, any tickets and calls are under strict guidelines on what gets paged out and when it is okay to bother me and my partner after hours. We are routinely bothered for shit that don't involve us or should have waited till the next business day.

So, every morning, a series of emails come in. At 6:30, it is CityPulse24 Weather; typically between 7 and 8, information concerning current and lingering items in the pipeline; we have a 10AM conf call on this each weekday as well. These are expected and generally ignored so we can get back to sleep. We do not expect a phone call at this time period unless an actual trouble ticket was generated (or some one of my family needed something and, as usual, forgot the home number). Yesterday, a fairly nice man I work with, who can be a royal PITA at times, calls me at 7:50AM!! DW was woken of course, but not seeing a number she recognized, and I was dead to the world (I L-O-V-E DiSaranno, strictly for medicinal purposes of course), she ignored the call figuring if they really wanted me they would have called again or the home number. Thankfully, this person does not have our home number and he leaves a voice message.

When I retrieve the message, he is asking about something that happened the night before, but he cannot retrieve the information since he did not currently have access to a computer terminal. This is actually a reasonable request considering his position and responsibilities. The problem lies in that the situation was handled (and the ITIL/ITSM process would have made him aware of any shit hitting the fan if it was not handled). So, knowing this, there was no hurry and therefore no need to wake us yesterday morning, on a weekend, for something no longer broken.

When I finally replied around 5:30 or 6:30 this morning, I gave the pertinent information and added a PS as a signoff that read similarly to what follows: PS My wife said to tell you that if you wake her at 7:50AM on a weekend again, it had better have blown up or is still on fire. If it is not, she will have to hunt you down and hurt you. He got the message and left a lengthy apology for me on my work vmail.

Common sense would save a whole lot of people a whole lot of grief if they would only exercise it once in a while.

Peace.

No comments: